Talk

Advanced search

Dumb question from first timer re breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
moomin35 Thu 27-Mar-14 17:10:12

Hi All, I'm a new mum to be so please forgive my ignorance in the following question blush I am hoping that I can breastfeed my baby when he arrives. My question is that I usually wear a body lotion and (particularly during pregnancy to help prevent stretch marks) all over my body. If I breastfeed should I stop applying this on my chest as surely this will taste vile/be unsafe for my baby? What about deodrants and body sprays are these also a no when breastfeeding? If all goes to plan I will be feeding over the summer so obviously want to be as fresh and soft as possible(!) but without causing any harm or discomfort to baby.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Thu 27-Mar-14 17:11:45

Just don't put anything on your nipples except Lansinoh if you need it (good for soreness in the early days). No reason you can't wear deodorant/body lotion/suncream everywhere else!

Quinandthem Thu 27-Mar-14 17:14:11

I used all products everywhere except my boobs/nipples.

I used a nipple cream to help my nipples in the early weeks of bf - this cream did not need removing before feeds - deginatly worth checking.

ErynsMummy1 Thu 27-Mar-14 17:36:25

It's not a dumb question at all!! I use deodorants and body lotion etc, just don't put them on my boobs/nipples. I use fragrence free shower gel like simple, to avoid a 'perfume taste' but not sure if it makes any difference. Just make sure you get a good nipple cream for first few weeks...can make all the difference. Lansinoh I found the best, and you don't need to wash it off either before feeding. Expensive, but worth it especially if you get it on 3 for 2 or bogof. Best of luck!

minipie Thu 27-Mar-14 17:52:07

Just avoid anything on your nipples and the bit of boob around your nipples. Lansinoh is a fab nipple cream.

dare I say you are unlikely to get time to apply body cream with a newborn

MrsHerculePoirot Thu 27-Mar-14 17:54:55

moomin not dumb at all. I bought and used non-fragranced shower gel and lotions to use for the first few weeks whilst I established breast feeding, then moved back to my usual lotions and potions after that. Like others I just used lansinoh on my nipples as they were quite sore at times in the beginning in particular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now