Talk

Advanced search

Help! My 6mo dd has grown her two bottom teeth...

(16 Posts)
FastWindow Thu 27-Mar-14 16:53:00

And she's using them... On my nipples.

Last night we both fell asleep while doing a dream feed... Then one of us was rudely awoken when she clamped down hard.

Any advice?!! I don't want to stop bf yet!

Poledra Thu 27-Mar-14 16:58:57

Make sure she knows it's not on! Unlatch her and firmly say 'No!' TBH, it's the unlacthing and deprivation of the chewtoy nipple that gets the message across. If you have the presence of mind (not likely in the middle of the night!), when she botes you, press her face into your breast - in order to breath she'll need to let go and that's kinder on your poor boob that pulling her off it.

They do stop doing it when the novelty wears off after a little bit. All 3 of my DDs got their first teeth at 5 months, and I bfed until at least 10 months.

TerrariaMum Thu 27-Mar-14 17:04:30

You delatch, say 'no biting!' and relatch again. It takes them a bit to learn how not to bite. My DD1 used to bite and laugh.

FastWindow Thu 27-Mar-14 17:08:16

Thanks poledra although she's my second, I couldn't bf my pfb beyond a month (he was a month prem and noone advised me he might not be very good at it) so I'm in new territory here.

Must practice saying NO rather than the choice words that have slipped out!! Poor baby's ears blush

FastWindow Thu 27-Mar-14 17:10:07

Not been laughed at, yet. She's too shocked at the lack of boob.

I think being mocked by a 6mo might finish me off grin

Quinandthem Thu 27-Mar-14 17:10:29

I find that my dd only bites when she's finished feeding and is just playing around - although you don't necessarily know that until she bites.

Ecco above - remove and say no.

minipie Thu 27-Mar-14 17:53:31

Try not to react with a yelp as she may find it funny and it would become a game...

Take boob away, say no biting, start again. And repeat.

IME it doesn't last for more than a few days while they get used to the teeth

mistlethrush Thu 27-Mar-14 17:57:01

I did yelp - and stopped feeding (even if only for a couple of minutes) - DS soon learned not to bite and carried on BF to 22 mo.

Sunflower1985 Thu 27-Mar-14 19:54:11

My near 8mo is keeping his teeth below the gum line for now thank goodness but the first time I got a proper clamp down I swore like a sailor. Someone at my bf group said she did the putting them down and stepping away for a moment technique, to reinforce that it's unwanted behaviour.

WorthMoreThanThat Fri 28-Mar-14 17:43:07

My 7month Old has 2 top and 2 bottom teeth fully through....he bites and laughs at me....a lot ��

DIYandEatCake Sun 30-Mar-14 07:54:03

Just to add if she bites hard and breaks the skin, clean the wound really really thoroughly and watch out for infection. I ended up in agony and on antibiotics for an infected bite wound when my dd got her first teeth... We got through it (just) but was really horrible at the time.

Monkeyandanimal Sun 30-Mar-14 07:59:58

My babies seem to teeth early. DD has a tooth through at 3.5 months and is teething away on my nipple with sore gums and tiny tooth. DS2 was just the same. i think you just have to keep taking them off when they do it and hope that they get the message. I'm afraid with DS2 I had had enough and he was on a bottle at 8 months, due to both teeth and hourly waking. Good luck!

Pennypig Sun 30-Mar-14 18:12:01

I found that rubbing the gums near the teeth, quite hard with my finger before a feed stopped the biting, good luck

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 30-Mar-14 18:17:57

I shouted when ds did it blush but it worked, he stopped biting when bfing and us still bf now at nearly two and I still have both nipples.

FastWindow Sun 30-Mar-14 21:18:45

Popping back to report that I have switched from ebf to mixed, but expressing as well. No more sore nipples. Expressing is such a faff but other circumstances have prompted this, not the biting... I'm going back to work on Tuesday (eeek) and dd fed fully seven times on Friday night. In five hours. I was shredded, and realised this bf on demand isn't working for either of us any more... She's topping up at night and I consequently have no milk in the day.

So far, bottles in the night have lined up beautifully with trsf to cot... And I've settled her without boob for the first time EVER. I'm so amazed!

I have my boobs back (kind of)
I have my bed back (Yay!)
DH can put her down and I can go out without dreading the call... 'she won't settle, can you come home and bf?'
I'm not terrified she won't feed for the childminder.

Downside... I miss her already. But... Is the first apron string and I cut it by myself. No pressure from dh or anyone, and she's still getting some of my milk.

Now, how to express at work...?!

Monkeyandanimal Mon 31-Mar-14 07:43:20

Good work OP! get some sleep and your life back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now