Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and Clarythromicin??

(3 Posts)
fluffandnonsense Sun 23-Mar-14 06:03:29

I've come down with a wacking throat infection and 40 degree temperature. They did blood years and said it showed infection so have prescribed me Clarythromicin. He said there could be a small chance it could cause an upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhoea but having googled it I'm now concerned that side effects could be worse. Has anyone has experience taking this medication while feeding?

OohOod Sun 23-Mar-14 07:17:45

From lactmed(worth bookmarking or getting the app)

Because of the low levels of clarithromycin in breastmilk and administration directly to infants, it is acceptable in nursing mothers. The small amounts in milk are unlikely to cause adverse effects in the infant. Monitor the infant for possible effects on the gastrointestinal flora, such as diarrhea, candidiasis (thrush, diaper rash). Unconfirmed epidemiologic evidence indicates that the risk of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis in infants might be increased by maternal use of macrolide antibiotics during breastfeeding.

fluffandnonsense Sun 23-Mar-14 12:56:10

Thanks for the advise. Will have a look at getting that app.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now