Talk

Advanced search

Quantity of feeds at 9 wo..

(16 Posts)
LST Sat 22-Mar-14 17:19:12

DS2 is 9wo and is currently having 5 x 7oz bottles a day. He normally goes 8 hours at night. He has now started draining the bottles so should I up to 8oz? Hv said not until 12 weeks hmm confused But I can't see him waiting that long.

LST Sat 22-Mar-14 17:19:27

sorry he is ff

LST Sat 22-Mar-14 19:31:28

Anyone?

ExBrightonBell Sat 22-Mar-14 19:49:48

I have not ff, so know nothing really, but that does seem a lot. Could you try giving a smaller amount more often?

TheScience Sat 22-Mar-14 21:18:46

Why does the HV want you to wait til 12 weeks?

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Mar-14 21:34:10

could you offer an extra bottle rather than increasing the existing ones

LST Sat 22-Mar-14 21:52:37

We've just dropped a bottle though. He was on six but has started to go 4 hours between feeds. So wakes at 5.30, then 9.30, 1.30, 5.30 and last one after bath at 9.30. He drains them all bar the last and first bottles of the day as he is normally knackered at night and still sleepy in the morning. The hv isn't the best... she is full of usless info. She is the only one that was at the weigh in clinic. His actual Hv is really good but she isn't in clinic until this week. He is on the 91st centile if that makes a difference.

rootypig Sat 22-Mar-14 21:55:26

How is he when he has finished the bottle? Satisfied or not? That would be my guide.

So many HVs I've experienced have been biscuit, I just ignore them in favour of MN grin

TheScience Sat 22-Mar-14 21:55:37

How much does he weigh?

If he isn't asking for more milk until 4 hours later then he obviously doesn't need more! If he was hungry he'd be wanting a feed sooner.

LST Sat 22-Mar-14 21:59:24

He still searches for the bottle when he's finished iyswim. He is probably nearing the 15lb mark now. He is really chunky now, though he was only 6lb 9oz when he was born and on the 9th centile.
It won't hurt to try him with one though I suppose? I just didn't want to make him sick. He does refuse when he's full. unlike his brother who would down bottles and then spew everywhere.. envy

rootypig Sat 22-Mar-14 22:01:04

Don't forget they suck for comfort too, and as an instinctive thing, that's not necessarily hunger... Agree with PP if he's going 4 hours he doesn't need more.

LST Sat 22-Mar-14 22:01:16

Tbh rootypig his actual hv is lovely. It's the other one I find patronising and full of nonsense!

TheScience Sat 22-Mar-14 22:02:46

If he still wants to suck but isn't hungry, give him a dummy.

Honestly, if he doesn't want another feed for 4 hours then he isn't hungry, is he? Overfeeding is a risk you have to be aware of with bottle feeding - it's sensible to be aware of it. Sometimes babies drink quickly from a bottle so don't recognise that they are full (like if you eat a big meal quickly) so paced bottle feeding can helping - taking breaks and switching the side you are holding the baby on so they don't gulp it down. Babies also really like to comfort suck, even if they aren't in need of more milk.

LST Sat 22-Mar-14 22:02:53

Sorry xpost!

He does has a dummy but only seems to suck it just before he's due a feed. He refuses one afterwards.

I think I'll see how he goes the next few days and then decide!

TheScience Sat 22-Mar-14 22:05:06

As a general rule, babies need around 2.5 times their weight in lbs in oz of formula a day - so 2.5 x 15lbs = 37.5oz. At the moment your DS is having 35oz a day, so pretty much spot on.

LST Sat 22-Mar-14 22:08:18

Ahhh thanks thescience smile

That's helpful. He probably isn't quite 15lb yet so it does sound about right. I'll leave him be a while and see how he is in another week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now