Talk

Advanced search

Best milk!

(16 Posts)
sammyb93 Mon 17-Mar-14 23:41:21

Hey,

My DD is 6 weeks old and after breastfeeding for around three weeks put her onto aptamil but it has brought her out in such a horrible rash/milk spots that is only getting worse, we are convinced the milk doesn't agree with her, what formula do you use and how do you find it affects your LO? Does anyone recommend Hipp?

Thanks!

DaleyBump Mon 17-Mar-14 23:44:04

I'm now exclusively breastfeeding but my DS was on formula for about a week when he was about 2 weeks old and SMA Gold worked well for us. They're all pretty much of a muchness, slight differences in them but none are "better" as such.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 17-Mar-14 23:48:43

They are all pretty much the same apart from cow and gate is £2 cheaper, but the same ingredients as aptimal just different proportions.
Apparently all formula is organic its just hipp that's puts it on the tub. Haven't heard positive or negative things about it thou.
I would try cow n gate if I was formula feeding again as its cheaper and easier to get than aptimal.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 18-Mar-14 15:00:33

she could be intolerant to the cows milk in the formula. try another but if you get the same reaction I would see the gp

FrumiousBandersnatch Tue 18-Mar-14 15:53:34

Apparently all formula is organic its just hipp that's puts it on the tub.

Sorry for the hijack but I find this very difficult to believe. Do you have a source?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 18-Mar-14 16:21:13

I also find it difficult to believe!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 18-Mar-14 17:54:42

I thought it was odd, I have no idea where I read it, that's why I said apparently. Might have been on here.

ThefutureMrsTatum Tue 18-Mar-14 17:58:57

I have used cow & gate for all 3 DC, think they are all pretty much the same apart from the price.

sammyb93 Wed 19-Mar-14 02:32:15

That's interesting that they are pretty much all the same, I suppose in that case changing formulas probably won't make a difference to her rash, tbh it doesn't seem to be bothering her it just looks so horrible!hmm

jaggythistle Wed 19-Mar-14 07:20:39

Is 6 weeks old not the usual age that babies get 'baby acne'? I can't remember the real name for it .

Both my babies had it at this age and it went away by itself within a few weeks and they didn't have formula.

Mt youngest was particularly rashy with it.

leedy Wed 19-Mar-14 10:37:46

Yeah, both of mine were EBF and their skin went a bit peculiar around that age as well.

tiktok Wed 19-Mar-14 17:56:34

No. Not all formula is organic.

You can get a good overview of formula here

www.cwt.org.uk/publications.html#milk2

All babies get spots at some stage, and 6 weeks is a very common age for them to look awful!

sammyb93 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:44:47

Thanks for the link I'll check it out, looks interesting.

In regards to her rash it makes me feel a bit better that she doesn't seem to be the only one, I'll hold my horses with this as I don't really want to change her formula if I can help it. Thanks folks smile

TerrifiedMothertobe Wed 19-Mar-14 22:30:00

My bf baby gad had hideous milk rash- we used to call him the pimply youf! From memory I don't think it's actually from the milk but some hangover from pregnancy hormones. I may be talking rubbish though.... My memory isn't too good these days!

GingerMaman Wed 19-Mar-14 22:36:01

Is your LO unsettled by this rash?

If so, it sounds allergy to cows milk protein. Definitely worthwhile trying the special formula (aptamil pepti 1) and see if it get rid of it. Ask GP to prescribe you some.

tiktok Thu 20-Mar-14 09:07:10

OP says baby unbothered.

No need to change formula or to assume the formula is the cause.

sammy your HV will be able to recognise if the rash is the one just about all babies get at some point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now