Talk

Advanced search

Is this ok? Formula preparation

(9 Posts)
Madratlady Mon 17-Mar-14 20:25:09

Is it ok to store boiled and cooled water in a container in the fridge then mix the powder with a little boiling water so it's been heated over 70 degrees then make up the rest of the bottle with the cooled water?

I thought this would be an easier way of doing it, especially at night when I don't want ds to be wide awake and screaming because he's having to wait while I make a bottle up! I know it's not advised to keep ready made up bottles in the fridge.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 17-Mar-14 20:29:21

Yes as long as the powder is first mixed with very hot water and you keep the concentration correct, there's no problem with this. It's the way lots of people here recommend.

Dillydollydaydream Mon 17-Mar-14 20:33:14

That's what I do. When I go out and when I go up to bed I take a flask of boiling water and an empty bottle of cold previously boiled water with formula measured out in a tub.

Madratlady Mon 17-Mar-14 20:35:27

Thanks. I will mix the powder with a little hot water then add the water from the fridge to make it up to he right amount.

Madratlady Mon 17-Mar-14 20:36:18

I thought about using a flask for boiling water but how do you know if it's still hot enough?

sandberry Mon 17-Mar-14 21:01:48

If you make the bottles up in water over 70 degrees and rapidly cool, it is fine to store in the fridge for up to 24 hours, less safe than making up each feed fresh but still okay. The less time you store them the safer they are.

NomDeClavier Mon 17-Mar-14 21:05:39

If you add water to reconstituted powder make sure you add the correct amount of water in total by measuring your boiling and your cold water in empty bottles. If you add some boiling water to 6 scoops powder and then top up to 6oz you won't actually have enough water in there.

ReluctantCamper Mon 17-Mar-14 21:06:29

Like sandberry, I always used to make up 24 hours worth of bottles with boiling water, then cool rapidly in the fridge. DS never had an upset stomach while bottle feeding. I was super anal about everything being clean though.

bubblegoose Mon 17-Mar-14 21:07:07

The WHO says it's ok to store formula in the fridge. We do it, much easier in the middle of the night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now