Talk

Advanced search

4.5 week old poos infrequently since birth

(8 Posts)
feekerry Mon 10-Mar-14 21:27:26

dc2 is just over 4 weeks. he has now not pooed in 36 hours. apart from the first week where he pooed often he only really poos every 2 days. when he does there is loads of it.
he is v v grunty/colicky/straining generally and i think its related.
is he constipated? is this normal? he never seems comfortable.
he has been on anti b's since a week old and i wonder if this is causing issues?

feekerry Mon 10-Mar-14 21:28:31

he is ebf and had regained birth weight by day 10.

outtheothersidefinally Mon 10-Mar-14 21:32:40

Ebf babies poo rarely! It's great! They use the breast milk very efficiently. My DD was about once a week, but some ebf babies go two weeks.

feekerry Mon 10-Mar-14 21:59:40

but he seems so uncomfortable?
i thought i had read until 6 ish weeks they should be pooing v regularly??

SaltyGoodness Mon 10-Mar-14 23:42:57

It's very unlikely to be anything wrong, feek. Their little digestive systems just havent' got properly going yet. Pooing is hard work for them at this stage, hence all the grunting and straining when they do go...

Honestly it's fine smile

sazzle82 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:19:25

Very normal, dd used to poo every 4/5 days for a long time. Then boy would she go grin

Are you sure he's colicky? I'm not doubting you it's just that I thought dd had colic and HV told me it's V unusual for ebf babies to get colic. It turned out it was the start of cluster feeding and I had been thinking she couldn't be hungry as she had just been fed so hadn't been putting her back on blush as soon as I started letting her feed non stop the colic symptoms disappeared

Hartllu Tue 11-Mar-14 18:13:17

It is very likely there is no problem, but I would raise this with your health visitor or GP if it doesn't settle. So long as appetite and feeding are good, not much cause for concern but if he's not hungry, or if his hands and feet seem chilly ever then you should get him checked out very quickly. And if you are concerned about antibiotics then once he's off them ask about acidophilus, one of mine needed that on prescription when teeny tiny.

feekerry Tue 11-Mar-14 19:51:44

thank you for replies. went to gp's as last night was really awful. constant straining/grunting etc. they actually.admitted us to hospital as he had a temp too and they diagnosed a virus BUT also think he has an intolerance to dairy....
off to start a dairy free thread!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now