Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop dreamfeeding?

(7 Posts)
BlueFrenchHorn Sun 09-Mar-14 23:44:41

Almost 6.5 month old Ds is on the 80th centile for weight and 91st for height so not tiny. We started weaning onto solids at 1 week before 6 months, so about 3 weeks now.

He's taken to it really well and eating breakfast a dinner at the moment. It's going so well, I thought I would introduce lunch at this point as well.

Consequently he's stopped bfing as much. He still feeds and gets enough milk I think, but is starting to get full on food as well.

I've been dream feeding since he was 2 months old, around 10.30pm/11pm. He goes to bed at 6.30/7pm.

I personally don't think he needs a dreamfeed now, as he barely takes much milk before gagging and pulling away (assuming he's full from dinner).

How do I stop dream feeding without my boobs getting ultra engorged? Or should I carry on? Am I potentially feeding him too much solids?

BlueFrenchHorn Mon 10-Mar-14 07:50:46

Bump

Happydaze247 Mon 10-Mar-14 15:02:32

It's great that he's taken so well to solids. I wouldn't increase them just yet though. I think the guidelines suggest building up to 3 meals by 8-9 months, as milk should be his main source of food for the first 9-12 months.

As for the dreamfeed, I guess just try it. You could always pump after his bedtime - that way you'll have a little freezer stash if ever you need it, or save it for his cereal/porridge in the morning.

BlueFrenchHorn Mon 10-Mar-14 22:43:50

HV today told me to go ahead and introduce lunch now. I said the same thing - shouldn't I wait til 8/9 months and she said not if ds is showing keenness which he is (doing 80% BLW with the odd fruit pouch, porridge etc).

I'm confused,... Should I cut back on the solids of go ahead with the 3 meals just make them more like tastes?

beachesandbuckets Mon 10-Mar-14 22:52:29

Heya, I have twin girls, 7 months, and when I started weaning them at 5 and a half months (on hv advice), I started on breakfast and moved rapidly onto 3 meals per day by 6 and a half months. They have small b/feed at 6.30am-7am, porridge for breakfast at 8.30am, lunch and dessert (fruit and yoghurt) at 11-11.30am small b/feed at 2.30ish after naptime and dinner and dessert at 4.30pm. they are thriving on this, so I would say go ahead and don't wait, listen to what your baby wants! I am doing a full feed at 6pm and a dream feed at 1O.30 but reckon I need to drop this soon, maybe at 8mths, just don't want them to start waking up again in the night so at the moment its my safety device!

beachesandbuckets Mon 10-Mar-14 22:54:45

Just to add, my babies are getting a good quantity of pureed food fed in them at every meal, there is no way they would get even a quarter of that if blw (one can't even hold much for more than a second or so) so not sure if that makes a difference...

BlueFrenchHorn Mon 10-Mar-14 22:56:22

Thank you beaches. He's having pretty much similar at the moment minus lunch, but cries when it's dd's lunchtime and he's sat watching her. He tries to grab bits of food of her plate as well and part of me feels like he's obviously ready and the other part worries im overloading him too quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now