Talk

Advanced search

Having a baby on Wednesday!

(4 Posts)
floppops Sun 09-Mar-14 17:57:45

I'm booked in for a c section on Wednesday and I'm thinking about feeding etc.
How often should I be offering the breast-is it every 2 hours round the clock at the beginning?
I have a 4 year old DD but I remember being a bit confused about timings then. My DD slept for 5 hours straight the first night and I think I didn't get her to feed as much as I should have done so I'm anxious to get off on the right foot this time.
Different people have different opinions on leaving babies to sleep and fixed timings etc.
What's worked for you?

MissRatty Sun 09-Mar-14 18:40:05

We were told every 2 hours roughly in the beginning...I didn't have a c section but have heard from others that it can sometimes lead to issues in the beginning, but then so can pain relief etc.

Good luck!!

ChocolateHelps Sun 09-Mar-14 18:47:52

Would it help to find the number of a local bf helper/ LLL / NCT counsellor and take with you? Or contact tomorrow in preparation? They could talk thru your concerns, go over what happened with your 1st baby.

It's not unusual at all for a baby to have a single 5 or 6 hr sleep in the first 24hrs of being born. Which is fine as long as the newborn had a really good feed (normally lots and lots of mini feeds) straight after birth. Then they conk out. Then, ideally every 2 hrs in the day and 3hrs at night. Aiming for 8-12 feeds in 24hrs so every 3 hrs is at the lowest end of ideal (there are only 8, 3hr slots in 24hrs and it's easy to slip and end up with only 6 or 7)

Good luck on Wednesday. Enjoy your babies birth day!!

floppops Sun 09-Mar-14 19:40:27

Think last time I was a bit anxious and on my own. DH was told to leave straight away. He can stay this time plus there will be breastfeeding help available at the hospital ( going private ). So hopefully should be a lot easier.
Plus I breastfed DD for 21 months so I hope it'll be all round easier this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now