Talk

Advanced search

Not breastfeeding - leaky/painful boobs

(3 Posts)
Wilberforce2 Tue 04-Mar-14 10:57:28

Please do not shout at me for not bf I've already had the lecture from various midwifes!

My dd is 9 days old and after a horrific time trying to bf my little boy I decided to formula feed her from the beginning and it was definitely the right choice as I'm finding the whole thing a completely different experience. The trouble is my milk came in on day 3 and I am still suffering, my boobs are huge, rock hard, lumpy, so painful and leaking all over the place. The MW after giving me a lecture and trying to make me feel like shit said that if I just ignore them it will stop by day 7 but they are as bad as they were in the beginning. Is there anything I can do to hurry and dry the milk up or at least ease the pain, I can't even turn over in bed at night!

Thanks in advance.

Mogz Tue 04-Mar-14 11:04:40

Your baby your choice, no lecture here.
However you are going to need to at least hand express a bit every day to ease the pain in your boobs, with so much milk sitting in there you are at high risk of an infection, blocked ducts, mastitis - very painful stuff which will require a course of antibiotics.
Get yourself on to google and find some hints and tips on hand expressing, you just need to do enough to relieve the pain, it won't stimulate your breaks to make so much more milk that it will be a problem. You should be able to stop in about 7 to 10 days depending on your natural supply.
Congrats on your new baby.

geekaMaxima Tue 04-Mar-14 14:05:24

YY to hand expressing. It might be easiest in a warm shower or bath but you'll need to take some pressure off. Nothing is worth risking mastitis!

Other things that can help are cabbage leaves inside your bra (sounds daft but it does help), ibuprofen (reduces inflammation as well as offering pain relief), and decongestants like Sudafed that contain pseudoephedrine (normally avoided by bf mothers as it reduces milk supply). More info on these at Kellymom

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now