Talk

Advanced search

8 week old refusing the bottle but no other option!

(12 Posts)
alice93 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:33:18

I have a breast abscess (yuck) on one side and so I've been told I can't breastfeed on that side for at least a week, maybe more. So I've been expressing that side, and trying to give it to him in a bottle but it's such a struggle!! We started off using mam bottles as thats what the hand pump is, but I figured maybe it was the teet so we're now onto Avent (newborn teets for both), and whilst he has taken two bottles from avent he has refused another two. I have to throw all this lovely breastmilk away as I can only heat it up once.
All he wants is my boob and so my good side is completely drained!
Does anyone have any advice on getting him to bare with the bottle for a bit? They teach you breastfeeding in antenatal but not bottle feeding sad

GreenGoblin0 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:45:13

Could you try a syringe? I was given one at the hospital.

GreenGoblin0 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:46:22

Or try tommee tippee closer to nature,

alice93 Sat 01-Mar-14 22:47:00

He can drink 120ml in a matter of minutes so I don't think a syringe (or a cup) will work on him :/ I could give another bottle a go, I guess, but I still haven't tried the Dr Brown's bottle that I have. Could it really be just the teet that annoys him? He refuses a dummy as well.

rootypig Sat 01-Mar-14 22:53:01

Sometimes they'll take a bottle from the dad - they're smart cookies, he'll be thinking if he takes a bottle from you, he won't get the breast back!

DD moved from breast to Tommee Tippee closer to nature with no fuss, try one of theirs? Also you could vary teat size/flow, he might be frustrated if he drinks quickly.

Hope your breast heals soon flowers

alice93 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:01:52

Thank you smile
Unfortunately his dad is just as frustrated as he is, DP has become apathetic thinking I'm the only one who can soothe our son - which I know isn't uncommon. So two unhappy boys!
I'll definitely buy a tommee tippee then, fingers crossed it works!

TheScience Sat 01-Mar-14 23:05:16

If you keep feeding on the good side, the supply will catch up. Lots of people only feed from one breast.

Spadgey Sat 01-Mar-14 23:07:47

I've been feeding my 11 month old from one side only with no problems whatsoever. You don't run out of milk it keeps being produced as they suck.

Hamsolo Sat 01-Mar-14 23:11:25

Will he take it cold? My dd only took expressed milk straight from the fridge. You could try that, and at least you're not wasting it!

alice93 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:14:54

But will I be able to reduce the milk supply when I am able to finally feed on the other side again?
I have to keep expressing to stop engorgement and also the hope that this problem will be over with soon.

I'll give the cold milk a try as well smile

TheScience Sat 01-Mar-14 23:18:38

If you keep expressing you will prolong the engorgement, as your breasts are responding to the increased demand.

As your baby feeds more on one side, the supply will increase - as he feeds less it will decrease. It just takes a bit of time to adjust.

Chocolateteabag Sun 02-Mar-14 02:54:02

Ds2 refused Avent bottle at 8 weeks, moved to Tommy Tippee and he took it no problem. (Started one FF bottle at night to make sure he'll take bottles when I go back to work)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now