Advanced search

Blocked duct , possible mastitis - pls help!

(5 Posts)
ZenNudist Sat 01-Mar-14 16:35:53

I had actual cold & flu all week so it's difficult to tell if blocked duct progressing to mastitis. There is redness on skin over lump. Does that mean its mastitis?

Blockage reoccurs over last 2 weeks but seems to go away / go down. Got worse, really painfulast night, got rid of lumps at 5am feed , but is back after any longer break between feeds.

Ds not interested in feeding as he also has cold (only 4.5wo). So difficult to follow kellymom advice for frequent feeding, I'm expressing as well but not much coming out.

Feeling rank and sore boob not helping. Any advice as to if I need to see out of hours dr? Should I just keep emptying boob?

WitchOfEndor Sat 01-Mar-14 16:57:06

If it's red as well as blocked it sounds like mastitis, I would go to the ooh docs and get some anti biotics you can take whilst feeding. Try a hot shower and using the shower head to massage the blockage as well. Don't leave it too much longer before you get it seen too.

ZenNudist Sat 01-Mar-14 17:26:52

I'm really reluctant to take ABs as I'm prone to thrush and dread getting thrush in nipples. I've read mastitis can resolve itself with adequate milk drainage and bed rest.

I am running High temp but I've caught the same illness as ds1. he's been spiking a fever all week long. Temp might be due to that. so I'm confused where blocked duct ends and mastitis begins.

Sat here wearing cabbage leaves smile

Annoyed that today of all days when I need ds2 to feed often he won't hmm

Chocolateteabag Sun 02-Mar-14 03:28:43

Get the AB's - you can decide later if you actually take them.

Ooh GP told me that mastitis without a high temp can resolve itself, high temp would require AB's.

I needed the abs in the end as felt so bad. I took probiotic supplements and tried to reduce sugar. I still got thrush, but it shifted quickly

ZenNudist Sun 02-Mar-14 12:40:30

Thanks witch & chocolate for your support. This has been such a miserable week of illness, rounding off with a bout of mastitis.

Am willing to cut out sugar shock if on ABs to avoid dreaded thrush. Heading to OOH docs once ds finished feeding. We've both been sleeping lots, him with a cold & me with cold & fever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now