Talk

Advanced search

If you have successfully night weaned...

(3 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 28-Feb-14 20:30:35

DD is 13mo and until v recently woke lots for feeding overnight. So, at the end of my rope, and with a toddler too, I night-weaned her. Just cuddled her instead and after a long week a while she started sleeping through.
As I am due to return to work soon I have also cut back her unfettered boob access during the day and now she just has a feed first thing in the morning and before bed.
My question is this: she's got a bit of a cough & cold at the moment... Is it cruel to still not feed her in the night if she wakes?
I can't decide whether I should use the breast as it's available iyswim or whether I should stick to the no-night-feed thing? I'm worried about re-starting it for fear I would have to wean her again? I know that sounds selfish

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 28-Feb-14 20:31:31

Just want to point out i would offer cuddles and milk in a cup if she woke and calpol if needed - my op sounded a bit like I wouldn't give her anything

Eletheomel Fri 28-Feb-14 20:46:05

If you don't want to restart the night feeds, I wouldn't offer the boob at night now. I didn't nightwean DS1 until he was 2 years old (kept hoping he'd do it himself - he had other ideas...) I found it pretty traumatic for both of us (first night had to hold him for 90 minutes while he went ballistic, crying and tantrumming on the bed, he eventually passed out in my arms exhausted :-( and there is no way I would have wanted a situation whereby I relented, gave the boob, then made him go through that again.

I think if you've forcibly nightweaned her (and I don't mean that in any kind of cruelty way, just that you set the agenda and decided no more night feeds and after a week she agreed) then you need to stick with no boob, or else you'll risk her wanting to feed at night again and she might be more reluctant to give it up second time round and it might be harder for both of you in the long run (if you see what I mean), although it might not, she might just accept it as the results of being not well, I really don't know, I'd just be scared that she'd start wanting it every night.

I do sympathise though, my 9 month old currently has a chest infection just now and has basically given up solids the last few days as he's unwell and when they're like that you do just want to give them boob for comfort as you know it makes them feel better.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now