Talk

Advanced search

If you have successfully night weaned...

(6 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 28-Feb-14 20:27:45

DD is 13mo and until v recently woke lots for feeding overnight. So, at the end of my rope, and with a toddler too, I night-weaned her. Just cuddled her instead and after a long week a while she started sleeping through.
As I am due to return to work soon I have also cut back her unfettered boob access during the day and now she just has a feed first thing in the morning and before bed.
My question is this: she's got a bit of a cough & cold at the moment... Is it cruel to still not feed her in the night if she wakes?
I can't decide whether I should use the breast as it's available iyswim or whether I should stick to the no-night-feed thing? I'm worried about re-starting it for fear I would have to wean her again? I know that sounds selfish

GinGirl Fri 28-Feb-14 20:32:27

I wouldn't restart, (bf 3 children to a year) if she is settled without now. I don't think it is cruel not to give it to her, if she really wakes and needs something then sips of water to clear her cough should be fine.

It is not selfish to want to go through night weaning again - it is hard work for you both, stick to your guns! The cough and cold will clear soon enough. However DC4 has just started chickenpox so I'm having similar dilemma...

Showy Fri 28-Feb-14 20:36:01

I don't think it's cruel to say no if you've night weaned. But having night weaned both dc and continued to feed for at least a year beyond that, I did still allow unfettered access when ill. Mostly you count periods of unrest such as illness as out of the ordinary and you find that they return to the previous pattern. I think it's harder to break the norm than just a couple of days of unfettered access to the breast. Certainly, I found that they went back to no night feeds once recovered. I hadn't the heart to refuse a feed when they were ill.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 28-Feb-14 20:38:48

Thank you - I'm just a bit concerned as I have to work a fair few nights in my job so don't want to start bf at night again for fear DH won't be able to settle her if she has a cold and I'm not here.

DrMcDreamysWife Fri 28-Feb-14 20:42:58

I night weaned at 15 months. She's almost 18 months. She does occasionally sleep through but usually wakes twice still. We offer water at night. She was quite poorly about a month ago and I did feed her a couple of times around 2am, wasn't much milk and it was comfort really. She happily takes water so I don't worry about keeping up liquids.

It depends on how their eating in the day really? I get dh to go to her if she is upset. But I wouldn't withhold milk if I thought she really needed it.

ALittleFaith Fri 28-Feb-14 21:42:19

I night weaned DD about a month ago when she was 9mo. I was back at work and rotered to so some night shifts. She was waking 5 times a night at regular times and refusing her morning feed. We sent DH in instead. He offered a bottle but she refused so we knew she wasn't hungry. She was poorly recently and once she stirred and I went in. She'd pooed so bum change and I did give her a quick feed but she's not got back into the habit. If I go in she does expect boob so it's easier to send in DH who settles her with a cuddle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now