Talk

Advanced search

formula taste...

(15 Posts)
StuckOnARollercoaster Fri 28-Feb-14 19:42:47

Argh have left this too late! We are going away next Wednesday and the plan is for my mum to look after our 8 month old DD during the day. She currently has 4 daytime breastfeeds (and 1 or 2 at night) and we were going to replace the middle 2 day feeds with a carton of formula (I will still be able to do first thing, bedtime and any night time feeds)
I've been getting her used to bottle in day by using up my stock of expressed milk and that was fine. Had some aptamil cartons we used in the early days and the plan was to buy those again. But DD has just come back from a trial run with MIL and hardly took any of the formula, kept pushing the bottle away as if she didn't like it.
Do the different formulas taste different? Is it worth trying different ones between now and going away on Wednesday?
Or should I not worry that she may not take much milk because she will still take what she needs when she feeds from me (her bedtime feed tonight has been much longer and she's had both sides rather than the usual one side)
We've not yet managed to get her drinking water but I never worried because she still had milk - is it a concern that she may not take much liquid in 6-7 hours while I'm out if she can make up for it when I get in and can feed her?
Thanks if anyone can help...

TheScience Fri 28-Feb-14 19:59:16

Is it only one 7 hour period? I really wouldn't worry in that case - she can have food and formula and water offered. She'll be fine. Lots of liquidy food eg. cereal with milk, melon, grapes, if you're concerned.

StuckOnARollercoaster Fri 28-Feb-14 20:14:48

It's a week - we're off on a snowboarding holiday - so it's 7 days in a row. I'm guessing I'll be out by 9/10am but not back till 4/5pm.
I'm hoping that it shouldn't matter too much if she doesn't have milk in that time - but now not sure which milk to buy for mum to offer to her. (want it to be carton so less hassle for my mum...)

whereisthewitch Fri 28-Feb-14 20:18:06

Have you ever tried aptimil? It's vile. Hipp organic tastes like rice pudding and is much more pleasant, it supposedly tastes closest to bm too.

StuckOnARollercoaster Fri 28-Feb-14 20:47:29

Whereis - no I haven't - is it that awful? :-) I just assumed they would be nice and sweet...
I'll pop to supermarket and get a hipp and see if she likes that!
What about the diff age milks - I know there isn't much of a difference nutritionally from other threads on here but are they likely to taste different or will a hipp newborn taste pretty similar to a hipp 6month/follow on milk?

Parliamo Fri 28-Feb-14 20:55:19

Cow's milk tastes much nicer than any formula. Not strictly following guidelines, but as its essentially just a daytime snack in between food and breastfeeds, that's what I would do. And in a tippee cup, not a bottle.

That said, pfb had formula at nursery at the same age in between breastfeeds.. Dd3 will be drinking whatever she can find... standards are slipping!!!

Holiday sounds amazing! Not only skiing, but a family member au pair!

whereisthewitch Fri 28-Feb-14 21:00:56

I just used the first stage until DD was about 1, we mix fed and never had any issues with it, I stopped using aptimil at 3 months because of the smell and taste of it....smells like farts grin plus it made DD very windy.

Starballbunny Fri 28-Feb-14 21:12:01

Dilute juice and baby yoghurt was what DD2 always had if I went out.

Breast milk is sweet, formula, cows milk and water aren't.

(I have a very long term BF DD, who at 13 still doesn't drink milk or water.)

mymiraclebubba Sat 01-Mar-14 00:31:19

aptimal is vile!! the smell puts me right off as does SMA which i accidently picked up a carton of in error (sleep deprivation and wedding present shopping with a 4 week old not a good combo). I eff and use cow & gate which smells much nicer - i haven't tasted as am lactose intolerant

McBaby Sat 01-Mar-14 09:59:28

If your used to feeding four times a day you may find you need to express during those 7/8 hours you are away fo her so you are not engorged (although prob not entirely practical while snowboarding) so you will have milk for the next day. Then you only need enough milk for day 1 to save over the next few days.

You could also pop back at lunchtime to feed her as presently her and your mum will be at the bottom of the slope somewhere.

StuckOnARollercoaster Sat 01-Mar-14 10:10:48

Thanks all - as soon as DD is awake we are off to the shops and going to do a taste test on Hipp and Cow & Gate!
But not going to worry if she doesn't take to it and offer plenty of other alternative drinks and sloppy foods...

Parliamo - my mum has been pestering for ages for us to take her to a mountain resort so she can see what its like. As she lives in a different country from us and can't see DD that often its a perfect opportunity for her to spend some time with her. If it works well then am hoping we can do this again in future years! Realise how lucky I am in that respect!

McBaby - I hate expressing - would take me 2 days to get enough milk for 1 feed a few months back! I have packed away the breast pump and its not coming out unless we have a second child!!! I didn't feel bad yesterday when she missed 2 feeds, and because she had taken hardly any formula she had a nice long feed with me from both sides. I don't want to be restricted to going back at lunchtime - we're in a resort where the nearby runs are pretty tame so I expect we'll be doing some longer travels to get to some steeper powder!

StuckOnARollercoaster Sat 01-Mar-14 15:32:17

Hipp has been a success! And it's the cheapest so even better ;-)

Parliamo Sat 01-Mar-14 20:39:31

Cuddles for grandma, escape for you, and your dd will even have formula no fuss. Win win!

whereisthewitch Sat 01-Mar-14 22:34:44

Glad to hear OP smile

mymiraclebubba Sun 02-Mar-14 19:00:31

Excellent news!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now