Talk

Advanced search

Help! Really sore nipples - what can I do for relief?

(11 Posts)
IceNoSlice Fri 28-Feb-14 19:30:15

I BFed DC1 easily and successfully for 9 months. DC2 is now 5 days old and I'm in a lot of pain.

I know it has been caused by the latch. I saw a BF support worker yesterday and it turns out there was a lot I had forgotten. I got some help with the latch and have also been googling and reading up on here. So I think I know where I was going wrong. BF counsellor coming to see me on Monday.

DC2 is feeding well BTW, she only lost 4% birth weight and is now gaining.

The problem is that my nipples are now so sore, bleeding and cracked. I am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen for the birth recovery anyway, and using loads of Lanisoh.

Is there anything else I can do to ease the pain or to help my nipples heal? I am so tense every time I feed now, it can't be helping sad

Any help very gratefully received.

Ratfinkle Fri 28-Feb-14 19:32:40

Nipple shields worked for me but I know they are not for everyone as some think they affect the latch. They were the difference between me giving up and sticking with it though!

gamerchick Fri 28-Feb-14 19:33:40

your own milk and let them air.

nipples heal really fast as well...by day 5 I had to feed from one side only for as long as I could so the other one could heal and just alternated. It passed quite quickly after that.

I don't like nipple creams.. I find that they (and I) got thrush from using it but the baby I didn't bother it didn't happen.

As long as your latch is ok now it'll pass in a few days.. I have many sympathies for you.

Ratfinkle Fri 28-Feb-14 19:34:54

Ps count to ten slowly when you first latch on, by the time you get to ten the pain will have subsided a bit, hopefully!

thanks to you, it's horrible being in pain!

stargirl1701 Fri 28-Feb-14 19:37:20

I found hydrogel pads very soothing on my bleeding nipples. I kept them in the freezer...oh, the relief. I initially got them from the Infant Feeding Co-ordinator at the hospital.

www.medela.com/UK/en/breastfeeding/products/breast-care/breast-nipple-problems.html

I also used breast shells under my bra so my nipples could get exposure to air without having to be naked.

www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/category/breast-shells

And, using paracetamol, ibuprofen as well as a glass of wine to get through the evenings! Good luck with the latch, OP. thankswine

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Fri 28-Feb-14 19:39:17

Breatmilk and cling film between feeds

heidipi Fri 28-Feb-14 19:45:12

I used breast shells while my nipples were healing, they do look like you've got a couple of yoghurt pots down your top but god I loved them - they let the air circulate but also protect from getting bashed by the flailing limb of a passing newborn/toddler and in case anyone surprises you with a hug. best tenner I spent this time round, even tho I only used them for a week or so once my latch was right.

Good luck and congrats on DC2!

Dannygirl Fri 28-Feb-14 19:52:24

Congratulations on your baby, and I sympathise, as my second DS is 2 weeks old and I also really suffered in the first week or so. A couple of other suggestions in addition to the great ones above

Jelonet patches for moist wound healing, suitable for cracked/sore nipples - an alternative to Lansinoh but more hard core. You can ask your pharmacist to order them in for you

Silverette nursing cups - I also bought these and they seemed to work but quite pricey, and if you have your latch sorted hopefully the pain will pass in a few days

Good luck! Xx

IceNoSlice Sat 01-Mar-14 03:11:32

Thank you all so much for your sympathy and advice. I've fed DD twice and really tried to focus on the latch each time - but it is still sore. Just need to keep trying. Hopefully it will feel better in the morning. I have been rubbing a bit of BM on the nipple after and keeping them out of the bra a bit longer which does seem to be helping.

I have some cups somewhere from last time so will dig them out and sterilise them in the morning. I've just googled the hydrogel pads and boots online are out of stock (boo!) and they also don't seem to sell the jellonet patches. But I'll try the local pharmacy tomorrow.

I tried cabbage leaves earlier but I think they made the stinging worse hmm

AnythingNotEverything Sat 01-Mar-14 07:24:52

Have you tried a different hold so the pressure is on a different part of the nipple? Depends on how the trauma is I suppose, but a rugby hold or biological nurturing position may offer some protection while you smother yourself in breastmilk and they heal up!

IceNoSlice Sat 01-Mar-14 19:39:08

Thank you all so much. I was really in pain and feeling a bit down. I've just given DD a really good feed and had no pain whatsoever (with right - left still a bit sore). I tried rugby hold and also lying down feeding today, with varying success but giving me a chance to heal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now