Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oral thrush and breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
anotherbitofcake Fri 28-Feb-14 08:45:17

My 61/2 week old has oral thrush. He's being treated so I hope it clears soon. He's not feeding v well though. He screams and fights after a couple of mins. He is still putting on weight and has regular wet nappies so enough must be getting to him.

But does anyone gave any tips to help me get through this and carry on breastfeeding? I've tried winding.'c swapping sides, using dummy then swapping for boob, calming before trying again.

Any idea why dummy doesn't bother him but boob does? Would expressing be an option or would that cause more probs for him to take boob?

He's also better at night weirdly. It's the day he gets really agitated when feeding.

Thanks

anotherbitofcake Fri 28-Feb-14 17:35:36

Bump - anyone got some thrush survival tales?

CelticPromise Fri 28-Feb-14 17:42:23

Hey- Poor you, that sounds rubbish. How was it diagnosed? Do you have nipple thrush? If you Google the breastfeeding network they have a leaflet on treatment, I believe they recommend that you should both be treated as otherwise you will pass it between you.

His mouth could be sore while feeding perhaps? Or Out could be something else. Can you go to a bf group and get them to observe a feed?

anotherbitofcake Sat 01-Mar-14 09:40:05

Hi
Yes think I do but it's mild. Am being treated too. His roof of mouth is white so sure sore. Been to bf group who said latch etc fine a while back. The prob I have now is how to get enough in him while getting thrush sorted? He goes on ok to begin with. Feeds for a few mins then comes off in pain. Sometimes he tries to go back on but just gets really frustrated and screams again.
I may call another bf person as not that keen on where I've been.
Has anyone had more luck with diff positions? Expressing during fussy period? Etc Any idea why he's more calm at night?
He's feeding every 2-2.5 hours which is killing me!

waddleandtoddle Sat 01-Mar-14 09:53:55

I found the oral solution cleared up the thrush in my DS mouth pretty quickly. I used a cotton wool bud to put the solution directly on to the blisters which also meant that he wasnt swallowing too much of the fluid. Eating garlic-ey meals will assist with getting the thrush out of your system and in to your milk which should also help baby and reduce the risk of thrush around bottom. Feeding in the rugby ball hold helped me - gives you better back muscles than Madonna! Use a cushion under baby if necessary to take weight.

waddleandtoddle Sat 01-Mar-14 10:00:14

I forgot to add - thrush for me never really went away and flared up everytime I got run down. Addressing my diet seemed to be key. Nothing too drastic just reduced bread and processed sugar. Also manage let down as much as possible to keep nipples dry.

anotherbitofcake Sat 01-Mar-14 20:08:59

Thanks. He refused point blank this eve so given a bottle of expressed which he gulped down. I'm trying to express now but not much milk coming out - prob as late and I'm stressed and tired. I really want to carry on bf but he is hating it. Am panicking that he's not getting enough milk and that I'm going to end up formula feeding him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now