Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone just see the Daybreak 'discussion' breastfeeding/bottlefeeding

(16 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Fri 28-Feb-14 07:53:20

Wow could that have been anymore one-sided to bottlefeeding?! I'm really quite surprised that they are putting so much weight behind one study http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02February/Pages/Breast-milk-no-better-than-bottled-researcher-claims.aspx
Hope expectant mothers aren't too influenced by this study and all the reports.
I'm pro-breastfeeding but I understand reasons why it is not possible for some. However in the early days when I was struggling I've got to be honest and say if I read the results of this study I may have given up altogether

tiktok Fri 28-Feb-14 10:19:08

www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02February/Pages/Breast-milk-no-better-than-bottled-researcher-claims.aspx?app_data={%22pi%22%3A%2253635_1393521903_7736820%22%2C%22pt%22%3A%22twitter%22

A more scientific view of this study - or so-called study.

gamerchick Fri 28-Feb-14 10:25:05

no.. I avoid all debates on tv now as it's not good for my blood pressure grin

Anybody who really wants to breastfeed will pull out all the stops to try and make that happen.. they know that formula is there but as a last resort.

Studys and other cobblers is unlikely to sway that decision unless they really aren't that arsed either way... it's their own personal experiences that will make the switch.

CashmereHoodlum Fri 28-Feb-14 10:32:10

I don't watch daybreak but in the past I have noticed that they have an anti-BF agenda. They always describe it as a 'debate' and deliberately set out to imply there is a divide between FF and BF mothers. This debate is never what you could call in-depth.

froubylou Fri 28-Feb-14 20:46:24

I watched some of it with dp. I'm currently bfing my 11 week old ds and if I had watched that on a bad day a month or so ago I would have given up.

It was very one sided and the bfing advocate seemed to be out of her depth and maybe not the best person to big up the breast.

Seff Sat 01-Mar-14 08:59:30

info.babymilkaction.org/news/campaignblog280214

More analysis of the research, and the way it's been reported.

BadPenny Sat 01-Mar-14 22:42:00

And another good analysis here:

http://www.laleche.org.uk/content/studies-continue-question-biological-norm-la-leche-league-gb-march-2014

BadPenny Sat 01-Mar-14 22:43:00

Sorry, trying that again:

[http://www.laleche.org.uk/content/studies-continue-question-biological-norm-la-leche-league-gb-march-2014]

BadPenny Sat 01-Mar-14 22:44:04

Ok, really living up to my name now, how embarrassing:

[www.laleche.org.uk/content/studies-continue-question-biological-norm-la-leche-league-gb-march-2014]

BadPenny Sat 01-Mar-14 22:44:57

What am I doing wrong? :-/

ElBombero Sat 01-Mar-14 22:47:29

I watched it and yes the pro breast feeder I felt didn't give a good impression. With the ok
Still feeding a 4yr old argumentangry thought KateG was very anti breast and ok guessing must of failed at it

Seff Sat 01-Mar-14 22:49:37

www.laleche.org.uk/content/studies-continue-question-biological-norm-la-leche-league-gb-march-2014

Edgarallan Tue 04-Mar-14 18:28:43

Elbom don't think it is very helpful to assume because someone I.e Kate g appears anti bf that she must have failed at it?!

Ericadm Wed 05-Mar-14 05:49:03

Found this interesting as I have bottle fed my first (who had terrible asthma btw) and I am breastfeeding my second so I am waiting to see if I'll notice any differences.... Anyway this study only considers long term effects (after 4 years old) so the protection against infections offered by beeastfeeding during the first vulnerable years still stands.

ElBombero Wed 05-Mar-14 07:43:05

She's got very negative views from somewhere maybe a relative

sciencemum99 Wed 05-Mar-14 18:30:12

See this review for a good overview of this study - Is breast truly best?: the media use a single study to reject decades of research t.co/v2IGKemSi8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now