Talk

Advanced search

No poo for 7 days! Is it normal?

(7 Posts)
Ericadm Fri 28-Feb-14 06:17:12

My baby is 5 weeks old and breastfed. Until last week he was having 10-12 liquid poos a day. They were a bit smelly and very liquid, so much that I was a bit worried he had a stomach bug. Then suddenly he stop pooing and now it has been a week with no poos at all. I have tried massaging his belly and moving his legs but no result. He does not seem in discomfort and he is not passing much air either. Health visitor says not to worry until day 10 but I am a bit concerned. Is it normal?

2cats2many Fri 28-Feb-14 06:21:36

My dd didn't poo for 10days wjlen I was breastfeeding her. It all came out in a kind of never ending poo explosion while I was shopping in London with her on day 11. That was a fun day.

feetheart Fri 28-Feb-14 06:24:58

It happened with my DD - initially a regular pattern of a poo at every feed and then, suddenly, nothing for days. Luckily my health visitor warned me that it might happen so I wasn't too worried.
If the baby seems happy then try not to fret (easier said than done I know) and be prepared for the poo to end all poos at some point smile

teamnomistake Fri 28-Feb-14 06:26:45

Normal. My DS1's personal best was 15 days no poo. We were lucky enough to be in the bathroom when the explosion happened. Dear god. It was like the shower scene from Psycho, but with poo.

Ericadm Fri 28-Feb-14 06:31:36

Lol! Better get ready for the explosion than!!! ������

MigGril Fri 28-Feb-14 06:45:10

This is normal for a baby over 4 weeks of age. Before that they should poo several times a day just as your baby was. liquid mustard coloured poo is normal as he's on a liquid diet, he may have little flecks in his poo to. I wouldn't worry if baby seems happy and content they can go up to 2 weeks. Nobody is 100% sure why but it could be there is little waste produced with breastmilk.

Be warned though it's likely to be a big poo when he goes requiring full change of cloths.

ChaChaDigregorio Fri 28-Feb-14 07:18:52

We went 17 days once. I was due to see the paediatrician the next day. When it came we were in a pub garden. I used half a pack of wipes. It was in her hair and between her toes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now