Talk

Advanced search

Which cup for bottle refuser

(5 Posts)
curlyclaz13 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:28:30

Ds is nearly 9 months and bf, I am returning to work ft next week. He will not take a bottle so I am thinking to just go with a cup. He has water offered with food in a free flow tommy tipee but hasn't really taken to it but will have a few sips.I am thinking of trying some different cups to see if he prefers them . What cups have worked for your dc ?

PurplePidjin Mon 24-Feb-14 22:35:29

At around that age, my ds dropped to 2 feeds a day of his own accord as did several of his bf friends. Does he need milk in a cup if he can catch up on his bm when you get home in the evening? Easier if you're working regular office hours, obviously.

curlyclaz13 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:39:03

He may do that, at the moment he probably has around 6-7 feeds during the day so it would be a dramatic drop but several people have found their dc only take milk from source and will hold out for it. If thats the case I am in for some long evenings on the sofa !

PurplePidjin Mon 24-Feb-14 22:49:44

Oh dear, poor you having to sit there while your oh makes dinner and does all the housework wink

There are things you can do to encourage them to drop feeds. I night weaned by substituting cuddles and very gentle sleep training at 9 months then at 10 offered a drink and snack whenever he asked for boob - he gradually started to choose the rice cake more and more often. www.kellymom.com has good advice.

Does he eat plenty of solid food? Could you give him more watery stuff like grapes, melon, soup, satsumas and cucumber to make sure he stays hydrated while he adjusts?

PurplePidjin Mon 24-Feb-14 22:50:38

PS ds self weaned a few weeks ago at 15 months so none of the things I did stopped me from breastfeeding completely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now