Talk

Advanced search

Lip tie?

(7 Posts)
naomisarah Mon 24-Feb-14 12:38:13

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could take a look at a picture of my 6 week old's mouth. I know very little about lip and tongue tie but it sure looks like something to me! We are exclusively breastfeeding and while he is gaining weight well, we have never had a great latch - I often have to put him back on and milk dribbles out a lot. Aside from this, he gets terrible reflux and wind which must be from taking too much air in during a feed. If it weren't for that I wouldn't be too concerned as he is gaining weight beautifully.

I have posted a link to the picture here and would appreciate any comments or advice!

http://s30.postimg.org/86owz3jy9/image.jpg

LindsayS79 Mon 24-Feb-14 14:48:16

Hopefully someone comes along soon to let you know their thoughts.
My 7 month old looks similar (I too suspect lip tie) and she's got reflux, had colic etc and I had to give up bf due to poor supply combined with the reflux! No one ever looked in her mouth, but apparently not much is done for lip tie..

jennyapples Mon 24-Feb-14 19:33:50

That looks to me like a grade 3 or 4 tongue tie based on the Kotlow scale - almost idental to the one my LO had (dr classed it as a grade 3.5).

Are you having any pain BFing?

xx

jennyapples Mon 24-Feb-14 19:35:16

And here you go:
http://www.withinawomandoulaservices.com/uploads/2/0/1/8/20187579/6414059_orig.png

naomisarah Tue 25-Feb-14 02:23:27

It is not excruciating by any means but sometime it is not very comfortable and feels as if he is chewing at my nipple!

I really suspect some kind of tie from symptoms and physical appearance. I have a visit with my health visitor on Wednesday... Should I ask her to refer me to a paediatrician?

Jenny, did your LO receive any treatment at all? I am in no rush to give up breastfeeding - I am really hoping to reach at least six months.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 25-Feb-14 02:37:06

If you can get it treated I would. My son has a class 4 lip tie which has been left untreated. It has caused early decay issues with his front four upper milk teeth.

jennyapples Tue 25-Feb-14 10:37:57

Yes we had to have both the ULT and the PTT tie revised or I simply wouldn't be able to BF. I have one hiiiiigh pain threshold and I was throwing up from pain somedays from BFing. Sorry for the visuals but you know.

If it's not agonizing that doesn't mean that there isn't a PTT. It might still be there. It's really hard to say, though - many HCP won't revise an ULT. Mine did because 1) it was severe and 2) he's just one of the few who does.

Whereabouts are you located?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now