Talk

Advanced search

Help! Bf going wrong

(8 Posts)
kenrick Mon 24-Feb-14 09:08:04

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help. Have a 10 week old who has been a brilliant little feeder and doing really well on weight gain etc. But the past few days has gotten really fussy on the boob, will be fine for 5 minutes or so but then will pull off screaming- red faced, arched back, proper rage. Sometimes I can get him to go back on after a burp but more often than not the screaming just starts again. When I stop the feed he's happy as anything, smiling and waving arms and legs around. So my question is, do you think the fussing is because he's done eating? It just doesn't seem long enough, feeds were always on the efficient side but generally 15-20 minutes. I'm wondering if it is oversupply? I'll still be spurting milk after a feed so maybe he is getting really stressed by the flow?

longtallsally2 Mon 24-Feb-14 09:12:42

I had similar with ds though a little earlier than 10 weeks, if I remember rightly. Have you got a pump? I used to pump off the first 20 squirts or so, so that some of the squirty power was reduced.

Hope that helps and that someone more knowledgeable will come along soon.

littleraysofsunshine Mon 24-Feb-14 09:23:04

I have this with my nearly 4 week old ds. hmm

He's gaining well but I think he's signalling my boobs to make too much milk as he's not finishing the feeds.

He isn't a happy bunny after feeds either. And will want to finish about ten mins after.

TheScience Mon 24-Feb-14 09:25:46

Sounds like he is just done after 5 minutes to me. Do you offer the other side or are you trying to get him back on the same side?

kenrick Mon 24-Feb-14 09:26:06

I've got a pump but I didn't want to use it in case it stimulated my supply even further. Sometimes I'll hand express a little but I think I just have very spurty boobs ! They're still going even after a full feed

BetterWithCheese Mon 24-Feb-14 09:26:36

My nearly 8 week old DD has just started doing this as well. I'm quite confused as I've always had an ple supply and forceful letdown but she's aleays coped well. She did have a feeding frenzy earlier in the week so upped the supply, maybe it's too much again? Very frustrating as it I thought it had all settled down well.

kenrick Mon 24-Feb-14 09:29:19

If it is just that he is done after 5 mins obviously that is great! Am just fretting that he's not eating enough.

TheScience Mon 24-Feb-14 09:30:25

If he's coming off the breast satisfied and is happy between feeds and gaining weight then 5 minutes is fine - I guess you'll have to wait and see. It's worth offering the other side though in case he does want it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now