Talk

Advanced search

Explosive green poo and streaks of blood in EBF baby

(9 Posts)
Thesunrising Sun 23-Feb-14 18:49:42

My nearly 15 week old DS has been ebf. Lots of initial problems (for me, latch, pain, cracked nipples) but battled through, with good weight gain for DS. Had posterior tongue tie diagnosed and revised at 10 weeks. This seemed to fix pain for me about 70/80% - some good days, but still some bad days. At 12 weeks I decided to introduce one 3 oz bottle of formula (aptimil) in the afternoon, to give my chest a bit of break and to start process of weaning off me.

Immediately DS went from yellow poos every 2 or 3 days to 7 or 8 explosive green poos a day. Decided to keep giving the formula for a while longer to see if things settled down, but after a week and a half or so, poos continued to be green and explosive. So I stopped giving the bottle of formula and went back to ebf. However after 6 days, poos have continued to be green and a bit mucous-y, though slightly less frequent and explosive.

Today he's i've just noticed a couple of small streaks of blood in his nappy. Grateful for any advice about what this could mean - could the formula have triggered something in his system or could it still be working its way through?

I've considered there might be an oversupply issue and am making an effort to only feed on one side at each feed. My diet has not changed and there is no history of any allergies or intolerances in either me or DS.

He's gaining weight well, has no problem sleeping, doesn't sick up milk much and generally seems to be content. He does seem to feed quite freqently - more like 2 hourly most days rather than 3 hourly or more. He usually wakes twice at night, but sometimes only once.

Before I saw the blood this afternoon, I was going to try a different brand of formula, but now I'm reluctant to do this

Grateful for any advice or experience of what this problem might be? thanks

ExBrightonBell Sun 23-Feb-14 18:58:49

The blood could be a variety of things, but with poo like you've described with blood in might make me think of an infection.

It could also be possible that the formula is irritating his digestive system and causing the green poo, mucous and blood. Or it could be an allergy to milk protein.

Either way I would go to the GPs tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

In the meantime, could you express for the bottle feed rather than use formula?

Thesunrising Sun 23-Feb-14 19:12:30

Thanks for replying Brighton. I had been expressing tk about a month ago, but it's such a faff and time consuming. Also worried that if it was an oversupply issue, I'd be stimulating my supply even more.

Will head to GP tomorrow, but my experience on getting good bf advice from them has been poor in the past.

If ds has reacted to milk protein in the formula does that mean he might either be dairy or lactose intolerant? Im nervous about the prospect of being trapped into continuing to ebf as I had planned to stop by 6 months. The frequent feeds I'm currently doing are exhausting and tying as I have 2.5 dd that also needs looking after.

ExBrightonBell Sun 23-Feb-14 19:46:40

I totally agree about the faff of expressing - I found it very irritating and wanted to avoid it as much as possible.

Now I am absolutely not an expert at all, but my understanding is that there are two distinct reactions - lactose intolerance and a separate issue of allergy to cows milk protein. They get mixed up and confused as they can have similar symptoms. Lactose intolerance would happen with bmilk or normal formula as they both contain lactose. CMPI would happen with normal formula and can also happen through bmilk if you eat dairy, although this is quite rare. This website has a clear explanation.

There are formulas that would be suitable for CMPI that can be bought/prescribed eg Neocate, Aptamil Pepti 1. So you wouldn't have to continue bfeeding if you don't want to if it turns out to be the issue.

I think blood in nappies is more of a GP issue than a breastfeeding advice issue to be honest. It's more about ruling out an infection and considering whether the other possibilities are likely.

HTH smile

Thesunrising Sun 23-Feb-14 19:54:47

Thanks. I'll study that link. Im trying hard not to jump to any conclusions about allergies - as you say, if it is an infection then maybe it is less about bfeeding per se. Hopefully GP wil come up trumps!

Tiredtomybones Sun 23-Feb-14 20:45:43

My ds had blood streaked nappies. I was absolutely beside myself. GP said it was nappy rash (which I couldn't even see! His skin to me looked perfect) and prescribed canesten cream. The blood stopped that same day. Please see your GP, I expect it's something that simple for your baby too.

ElBombero Sun 23-Feb-14 20:51:02

Hi my EBF baby went through this. Poos were army green, looked like bits of seaweed in, had numerous samples sent in and every doc at the surgery had a gander and an opinion. In the end the consensus was an allergy to cows milk protein that I was drinking. I was awaiting to see a dietician re cutting diary out of my diet. 2 days before appointment poos become back normal (mustard coloured & seedy) never returned back....

Thesunrising Sun 23-Feb-14 21:50:48

Tiredtomybones - it's worrying to see blood isn't it? I'm glad it cleared up for your dc.

Elbombero - interesting that this happened to you. Most of the time when I've panicked about something with either of my two dc, given a bit of time things have cleared up or got better with no further drama. That's why I'm reluctant to go down the route yet of cutting out dairy, as this could just be an aberration. Again, glad this cleared up for your baby.

ElBombero Mon 24-Feb-14 07:32:14

Yeah I was reluctant, I already can't eat gluten & eggs and just didn't want to cut out another food group. The nappies were like that for about 12 days and gave him a very sore bum hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now