Talk

Advanced search

Is this lactose intolerance?? help please

(9 Posts)
Starch1e Sun 23-Feb-14 11:20:49

Is infrequent pooing accompanied by lots of farting and discomfort a symptom (unusual) of lactose intolerance?

I've been giving DD Colief from when she was 7 weeks old and it made her poo daily plus turned her into a happy baby willing to take naps. DD is EBF and I also cut out dairy and reduced soya in my diet. Plus to make giving the Colief easier I stopped feeding on demand and fed every 3/4 hours. DD poos turned yellow/green and quite liquidy but GP suggested nothing to worry about.

Reintroducing small amount of dairy into my diet seemed to go OK but stopped colief when she was 5months old and she went 3 days without a poo and started being unhappy and sleeping less. Back on colief, regular poos and baby sleeping through night again.

GP referred us to hosp dr who said I'm the first person she's met for whom colief has worked (hmm) and that lactose intolerance is very rare in babies from our genetic/ethnic background. (My cousin was lactose intolerant as a toddler which is the more classic case). But she is also willing to accept my test of reducing the colief and so will refer us to dietician.

I know lactose intolerance is very rare this young, and symptoms are usually diarrhoea rather than infrequent pooing. So am I treating for something DD doesn't have? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Feb-14 11:46:57

did you feel that reducing dairy in your diet helped? If so, that makes it more likely to be an issue with cows milk protein than lactose as breastmilk is full of lactose.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Feb-14 11:49:32

kellymom.com/health/baby-health/lactose-intolerance/ - what you describe does not sound like lactose intolerance

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Feb-14 11:51:31

kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity/#dairy

PinkandPoo Sun 23-Feb-14 12:00:02

I just found out my 6 week old DS has a mild lactose intolerance (diagnosed by stool sample). I don't know if it's genetic or acquired, or whether its permanent or not but my DD had very similar symptoms at the same age and still doesn't tolerate dairy v well now at 6.

He is exclusively breastfed and his main symptom is diarrhoea. He poos several times an hour, only small amounts but its liquidy and often greenish. He also had hideous nappy rash that didn't respond to usual treatment because his poos were acidic and burnt his skin. He is reacting to the lactose in my milk. Block feeding has helped a bit.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Feb-14 12:05:47

PinkandPoo, maybe you should try colief then as it helps break down lactose

fluffandnonsense Sun 23-Feb-14 17:26:39

Can I ask how you administered the colief?

Starch1e Mon 24-Feb-14 10:00:45

ilovepowerhoop thanks for the links, no it doesn't match lactose intolerance symptoms. So wondering if Colief really worked or she just grew up and the apparent return of symptoms when reducing last time were caused by something else e.g. teething! confused I did cut out dairy before started colief and it didn't seem to make a difference. Reintroducing dairy while using colief again doesn't seem to have caused problems.
PinkandPoo Colief is meant to help this. Could I ask where you got the stool sample tested? Our hosp dr thought there was no test for lactose intolerance so would be useful to mention!
Fluff I expressed milk once a day and made up bottles with 15-20ml of breast milk in advance. Kept the bottles in the fridge and used to administer colief before each feed. DD hasn't shown any signs of nipple confusion. It's been a lot of work as got all the disadvantages of bottle feeding (washing, sterilising etc) while also bf & expressing.

PinkandPoo Mon 24-Feb-14 14:02:11

Starch1e my GP surgery sent the the stool sample off to be tested.

I'm wary about using Colief without medical advice as it says can cause the baby to poo more frequently - and this is something we definitely don't need!

My DS does't suffer from colic either, he's settled between feeds on the whole. It's only the diarrhoea and persistent burn like nappy rash that caused my GP to request the test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now