Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding mum issue

(10 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Sun 23-Feb-14 10:31:44

I'm breastfeeding for a third time with our ds. He's 3.5weeks old and it sounds bizarre but I feel so constipated.. I think where he's feeding on demand and I'm not putting enough back into my body it's making me this bad. He seems to be aswell.. Having tiny poos each nappy, more like skid marks not a full "korma poo"

I think my daughters started having the "korma poo" at this time???

Songbird Sun 23-Feb-14 10:33:18

Are you drinking enough water and getting enough to eat? So important when you're breastfeeding. If you're constipated it could just be this simple.

BadPenny Sun 23-Feb-14 16:40:43

My midwife recommended eating linseeds - works well; you have to chew them though and not just swallow.

As for the baby - unless the poo is hard and pellet-like it's not actually constipation. Is he gaining weight well? If he is growing well and pooing frequently then it's probably nothing to worry about!

intheround Sun 23-Feb-14 16:45:10

Aldi do a lovely crushed linseed and dried raspberry topper to sprinkle on your cereal. Chuck on a few prunes as well and you should be fine!

jaggythistle Sun 23-Feb-14 20:23:10

Sorry songbird, that's a myth. Eating and drinking plenty is good to keep Mum hydrated and well fed, but does not affect milk supply like that.

jaggythistle Sun 23-Feb-14 20:24:59

Sorry sleep deprived brain thinking you meant for supply! Lactulose is good and fine for bf if you are feeling constipated

TheScience Sun 23-Feb-14 20:28:27

Dehydration can make you constipated so it's sensible to drink plenty - maybe have a glass of water every time you sit down to feed?

Is your DS gaining weight?

Songbird Sun 23-Feb-14 20:51:15

Yes jaggy that's what I meant smile

littleraysofsunshine Mon 24-Feb-14 09:14:41

He's gaining weight well but has been very agitated at the breast and then arching his back lots when being sat up to burp

littleraysofsunshine Mon 24-Feb-14 09:15:54

He gained 300g in a few days. Haven't had him weighed in about two weeks but I imagine he's well over 10/11lb

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now