Talk

Advanced search

Expressing and being away from baby

(4 Posts)
zinher Sat 22-Feb-14 20:07:01

I am EBF my baby and it's going very well. I may do a course from when she is a month old which would require me to be away from her 1 day a week. DP will be looking after her. I want to continue to breast feed and express but dnt know how it would work. Any advice appreciated. would also like recommendation for a good breast pump.
would having a bottle make her averse to breast feeding?

Rockchick1984 Sun 23-Feb-14 08:57:16

If starting from such a young age you will need to express during the day while at your course so that it doesn't affect your supply. Some babies can get nipple confusion if you're combining breast and bottle feeding, but if it's only one day a week (presumably just during the day not overnight as well) then it's less likely to be a problem. Would suggest that as well as leaving expressed milk, you make sure your partner has access to some formula as its tough to express as much milk as your baby would drink, definitely don't expect to just be able to express the day before and have enough to get baby through the day, so start expressing in advance of the course starting.

If there is any way to delay the course til she's a bit older and your supply is more established then you would find it easier, and you wouldn't need to express during the day as much, probably just at lunchtime and that would be for your own comfort as much as anything!

zinher Sun 23-Feb-14 12:34:27

I was thinking of starting expressing from now. I can delay it till she is two months old. Will that make much of a difference? Any breast pump recommendations?
How often should I pump and when? I already have problems with oversupply so dnt want to exacerbate that

leedy Sun 23-Feb-14 18:09:56

Very much recommend the Ardo Calypso electric pump, it's extremely efficient and super quiet. I use it in work every day and it's great.

If you have oversupply I'd be very cautious about pumping too much on days that you're not away from baby, maybe an ounce or two after the morning feed. And definitely think delaying it for another month would make it a bit easier in terms of supply etc. (though you still wouldn't get away with just one pumping session during the day, I wouldn't have been able to do that until both DS's were on solids)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now