Talk

Advanced search

can you harvest too much colostrum?

(25 Posts)
SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 22-Feb-14 15:43:22

Been doing this for a few days now on advice from the diabetic team at Antenatal. Ai started manually expressing and collecting 1ml syringes but have gone over to using my pump and 5ml syringes. I've just filled 4!
I've always been good at bf/expressing but as DD isn't here yet, im worried I might be taking too much and might bring my actual milk in. Should I he worried?

crikeybadger Sat 22-Feb-14 19:48:03

I don't think colostrum can run out and it's the removal of the placenta that kicks off lactation in terms of 'milk'. If you're concerned though, perhaps the antenatal staff could reassure you.

Sounds like you are doing really well with it all.smile

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 06:06:43

I'm a bit shock tbh! grin I started off with drops!

redcaryellowcar Sun 23-Feb-14 06:16:08

think you posted on my thread yesterday. i have the opposite problem. how often are you expressing e.g every x hours how many times a day and how long have you been doing this for?
p.s my understanding is same as above that your milk is signalled to come in when your placenta is detached, but only caution i read is too much stimulation can cause contractions, and to stop expressing straight away if this happens?

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 07:07:22

Once a day. blush
TBF I have bf for a total of years in the past, so my poor old breasts know exactly what to do, I just got a bit concerned I was over doing it.

I've been trying to think of any tips for you Red but I really don't know besides trying a pump and seeing if you can stimulate a bit. I do know that for the first few times it took a few minutes to get my fingers in the right place to draw the milk out. Definitely not just squeezing nipples but getting right up in to the areola. IIRC, the milk. flows from the breast to a reservoir behind the nipple and from then out. You may be need to try and tap into that reservoir a bit more and give it a bit longer.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 07:11:33

Daft question I know, but have you ever milked a cow or goat? Obviously their teats are different shapes to ours, but you need to work the milk down from the top IYSWIM in a mirror of how the calf/kids mouth would.

redcaryellowcar Sun 23-Feb-14 14:57:49

i hand expressesed with ds1 who bf for 18m, so think i am not a million miles off right technique, am managing a bit but just wondered if i needed to do it a bit more frequently? will try to do 2-3 times a day to see if any improvement and will get into loft to look for pump as you say this might get things moving a bit better,.although i am fearful the tiny amonnt i express will end up stuck in a tube!!

redcaryellowcar Sun 23-Feb-14 14:59:16

oh and to answer your question re milking a cow, yes but when i was five, so was a while ago and can't really remember technique clearly! smile

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 14:59:47

Sorry, I popped over to your thread and read yoy had done it all before.
I think you're more 'normal'. I could well be part Jersey cow! my kids would definitely say cow anyway! grin

Bumpiemalumpie Sun 23-Feb-14 15:03:55

Sorry, I am just curious, why are you harvesting antenatally? just interested really sorry!

redcaryellowcar Sun 23-Feb-14 15:08:03

i am hoping just slow to get going, also hoping this baby comes between 39-41 weeks, giving me at least another week to inspire some enthusiasm in my breasts!
when ds was on scbu another lady who had dc2 with her was on day 2, was wandering around with entire bottles of coloustrum, i had an empty teaspoon by comparison!!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 15:12:23

Bumpie I have gestational diabetes and DD may well have unstable blood sugar in her first day or so. She also has DS which might well make getting the hang of BF a little difficult for her. I was advised to harvest and freeze so that we have a supply available to tube or bottle feed her with in order to get her stable whilst trying to establish bf.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 15:13:16

Red I could always send you some... grin wink

Bumpiemalumpie Sun 23-Feb-14 15:14:23

saggy, bless you, thank you. Sorry for hijacking I was just curious. I hope everything turns out ok, I am sure it will

xx

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 15:16:50

Don't bless me, just find me a field to graze in! wink grin

5madthings Sun 23-Feb-14 15:18:45

No you can't harvest too much, your body willmake it on demand. I was always the same, when ds1 was a few days old I could express 4-5oz!

Well done your boobs!

And cant believe you arenearly due!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 15:22:03

Not soon enough 5, today would do me! confused

redcaryellowcar Sun 23-Feb-14 22:04:41

saggy you jest, i have been looking up milk banks, am very tempted to call and ask about stocks!! been 'at it' for about 10 minutes and have three drops!! assume we may have similar due dates, i am 9th? desperate for baby to come as uncomfortable but equally would like to have slightly more coloustrum in freezer before it all kicks off!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 22:52:14

Well I can honestly say, yesterday was great, today has been diabolical. I gave up in the end.
How about trying every other day?
I'm due the 13th but am being seduced on the 6th.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 22:53:31

I've had enough now too. I know the longer she cooks the better but I am so fed up! sad

5madthings Sun 23-Feb-14 22:54:35

Wow the 6th!exciting!

Are you ready, do you have a name?

I know you will have heard it a million times buttry and rest in this last week, whilst you still can xxx

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 23:08:39

Almost ready, no names we agree on!
TBH rest would be nice but atm . Sadly I have the rage and my DP and DD aren't helping. I might have to slap one of them. angry

5madthings Sun 23-Feb-14 23:32:47

none of mine had a name until after they were born as we couldnt agree. you will know the right name smile

oh dear re dp and dd, give them a kick up the arse from me!

Shellywelly1973 Sun 23-Feb-14 23:51:38

How long can colostrum be frozen for? 6 months like breast milk? I'm bring nosy!

Saggy our paths crossed on different threads over the last year. I had my baby 3 weeks ago so I knew you were only weeks behind me.

Best of luck with everything...it'd been a long journey.
Take care. X

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 24-Feb-14 05:59:46

Thanks Shelly. smile
5 that is definitely on my to do list! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now