Talk

Advanced search

colustrum harvesdsting

(5 Posts)
redcaryellowcar Fri 21-Feb-14 23:20:03

ds was born at 36 weeks and whisked off to scbu, had low blood sugar etc, and my milk took five days to come in and i was hand expressing and pumping to very little yield.
Dc2 due in a couple of weeks, so on advice of hv i am trying to hand express some colostrum into 1ml syringes, problem is i am only getting two or three drops from each session, so at the end of session 3, i have around 0.15ml of colustrum.
Please could someone advise on how often i should be trying, if there is a special technique for extracting colustrum, as i, managed fine hand expressing for ds but never had much succes with colustrum.
Any hints tips etc very welcome?

Shellywelly1973 Sat 22-Feb-14 13:36:18

Why has the H.V advised you to do this?

Even if your new baby arrived now he/she wouldn't be in scbu or are there other health problems?

Maybe using an actual breast pump would be more effective...

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 22-Feb-14 13:43:53

I've been doing this. Was getting 1 ml syringe from each side per day. Have you tried a hot flannel on your abreast before beginning and massaging downwards?
There is an a knack to it. I got my breast pump out the other day and got 5 ml per side, then the damned thing broke! Pumping is definitely worth a try though.

redcaryellowcar Sat 22-Feb-14 21:21:16

ha

redcaryellowcar Sat 22-Feb-14 21:26:15

shellywelly i have been advised to do this as ds was struggling with low blood sugar and my milk took ages to come in, (5 days) and i couldn't express any coloustrum at the time, was using hospital pump to simulate 'demand' but all to no avail , i am hopeful that this baby will be fine and as you say there are no reasons it won't be healthy and just feed 'normally'.
suppose i am just being cautious!
saggy i will hunt out pump and see if i can get things going with that!
thank you both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now