Talk

Advanced search

How long can formula be out the fridge before feeding?

(9 Posts)
Anothermrssmith Fri 21-Feb-14 23:09:06

Meeting my mum tomorrow for lunch with dd. will be away from home from mid morning to late afternoon probably so she will need fed while out. Normally I make up her bottles as and when she needs them so have never needed to do one in advance.

I know the guidelines about making in advance but was wondering about how long it can be out the fridge for before I give it to her. I'm guessing i would be leaving home about 2 hours before she's due her feed,am I ok to just take it out the fridge at the last minute before leaving? I don't have anything to keep it chilled in either which may or may not make a difference.

McPheezingMyButtOff Fri 21-Feb-14 23:20:10

Could you take the bottle with you, and just buy a readymade carton whilst you're out?

Bridezilla3521 Sun 23-Feb-14 09:36:23

2 hours, do you have one of those thernacase things?

bunnysmummy Sun 23-Feb-14 13:14:37

you could bottle up the water and keep the formula powder in a little case/tupperware box thing and add it to the water when you need it. You can buy these boxes with a number of compartments for just this eventuality.

bunnysmummy Sun 23-Feb-14 13:16:37

I should add to sterilise anything you use.............you probably knew that

roofio87 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:42:26

ready made cartons are the best for this. you just pour into a steralised bottle when your ready to use it. not too expensive if you hardly ever need them!

TheScience Mon 24-Feb-14 09:28:19

If you've made it up in advance and are taking it out of the fridge I wouldn't use it after more than 2 hours.

A carton of ready made sounds most sensible in these circumstances.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 24-Feb-14 14:13:25

either take hot water and powder separately or a cold pre-made bottle out of the fridge (you would need an insulated bottle bag to keep the water hot/milk cold) or take a sterilised bottle and a carton of milk.

Anothermrssmith Mon 24-Feb-14 22:46:13

Thanks for the advice ladies. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get a premade bottle where I was going hence my post. Anyway,ended up going the long way to where we were going to go via the supermarket to get one. Then got into town and found the premade bottles in boots. Typical!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now