Talk

Advanced search

How often were you BF by 9mths? Wondering if a baby-minimal holiday is realistic...

(5 Posts)
Inukshuk Thu 20-Feb-14 13:53:25

Hi all

My LO is 17wks, EBF till 15wks and since then BF + FF top-ups (2oz with each daytime feed, so 4 x 2 oz a day) because of weight gain issues (weight coming on fine since started adding in the FF). I was hoping to go on my annual girls' holiday when he is 9mths old. My DH would come too, but would mind the baby during the day w me coming back at night times and doing a breakfast / bedtime feed.

This plan was based on my totally clueless thinking that at 6mths they start weaning and BF v quickly goes down to breakfast and night. I realise now that that is not how it works, unless you really force things into working that way (which I wouldn't want to do). Not sure now where I got this oh so convenient idea from in the first place.

Anyway, so I'm left wondering whether 7 baby-free-ish days in a row is possible or am I in cloud cuckoo land. So my question to the EBF / primarily BF amongst you is - how much breast were you still doing at 9mths?

Sorry I realise I'm basically asking you all to predict my future - what can I say, I have a v high opinion of MNers!

leedy Thu 20-Feb-14 14:07:38

gazes through crystal ball

This is probably not what you want to hear, but while both mine had cut down on BF quite a bit by that age they were still feeding three or four times a day - morning, around lunchtime, mid-afternoon, and bedtime. Both would sometimes skip the lunchtime one but not for two days in a row, IYKWIM.

You could possibly manage it if you went back to feed baby once or twice during the day, or if your DH could bring him to whatever spa/fancy restaurant/etc. you were at? Either that or you'd need to carry a breastpump around with you to stop getting sore and keep your supply up.

TeaandHobnobs Thu 20-Feb-14 14:17:52

I agree it could be challenging if you are still bfing during the day - my DS was on about 4-5 feeds during the day at that point, I think. But if you are planning to continue with bf and ff, how would you feel about switching the middle of the day feeds to formula before your holiday? If you did it sensibly in advance, your supply should adjust (meaning you should have to express/get engorgement while you are away from your LO during the day) and your DH could give bottle feeds, and you could bf morning/evening/nighttime?

It is personal choice of course smile but that could be one solution?

On the other hand, LO might have adjusted their feeding pattern by then to an extent that they could manage on just water/solid food while you are out and about, then feed when you return. There's no guarantee that will work though - I did this at 1yr with my DS when I went back to work 3 days/week, and it was a bit traumatic even then. But a friend was already reducing feeds at 8/9m as her boy was losing interest in milk (disclaimer: milk is the main source of nutrition until they are one, so that is not an ideal situation!)

Sorry, blathering on...

Souper Thu 20-Feb-14 14:24:23

I was working part time when my baby was 9 months old. On my work days he had a morning feed and badtime feed from me, plus 2 or 3 feeds during the night. He had some formula during the day. Didn't affect my supply and I never needed to pump during the day either. I was able to do all feeds as BF on my days off. So IME your plan is completely doable but it might be different for you!

PrincessOfChina Thu 20-Feb-14 14:31:24

I was working full time by then. DD was fully formula fed but only had 3 milk feeds a day - morning, afternoon/lunch and evening. I'd say you should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now