Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound ok?

(8 Posts)
MadameJ Thu 20-Feb-14 08:21:19

Dd2 is nearly 8 months and wakes frequently in the night to nurse. I was just going with it but it's really starting to affect me now. For example last night I nursed her 9 times between 8 - 6am, most of these times were clearly for comfort and to help her get back to sleep, she refuses to co- sleep so that's not an option neither is napping when she does in the day as I have an older dd.

I am thinking of trying other ways to help her back to sleep if she has fed recently, so for example not offering boob before midnight. Does this sound fair? I am not interested in cc ect just gentle methods that may help us both get a little more sleep. Any advice/ experiences would be greatly appreciated!

HopeS01 Thu 20-Feb-14 08:50:30

Sorry, I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say how lovely it is to hear of mums who are BF at 8 months despite the difficulties.
I've only been feeding for 6 days and everyone around me seems to be caving in to formula for a good night sleep.

Good luck, I hope someone comes along soon who can offer some good advice x

Ps. What's "cc etc" (that you're not interested in)

Cakeismymaster Thu 20-Feb-14 09:08:36

Hopes01 - it means controlled crying

Novia Thu 20-Feb-14 12:17:19

Hiya - my DD is 11 months old and at about 8 months I decided to stop feeding her during the night as I felt that it was a habit to get back to sleep rather than hunger. She did wake less than your baby though - usually 2x in the night (we didn't co-sleep).

I used the Baby Whisperer pick-up, put-down method. So I picked her up, comforted her and put her back down again then kept my hand on her to show I was still there. She did yell, but it was anger, not upset. I must have done it over 100x the first night, but next night much better and by the third we'd pretty much cracked it. Her sleep dramatically improved from this time on and now if she wakes in the night we either offer water and put her back down, or if it's nearly morning I do give one feed and put her down. Aside from illness, she now sleeps through more often than she doesn't (if you see what I mean). I do also still BF her last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

If you do decide not to do night feeds then you have to be quite resolved though (which is hard if they are upset). I never did CCing, or left her - but it was still hard as she did cry. I feel that she is a far happier baby now that she (and I) are not overtired though!

Whatever you choose to do - good luck. Happy to chat more if you want any more information on how we did it.

MadameJ Thu 20-Feb-14 12:43:11

Thanks so much for that, I briefly tried pupd but she completely lost the plot and I'm a wimp!! I have made a decision that I'm going to try rocking her and other methods before the boob and see if that improves things (I hope I'm this sure during the night)

tabbycat7 Thu 20-Feb-14 12:45:08

Is she teething? Ds4 fed more at night when he was.

MadameJ Thu 20-Feb-14 13:28:37

Yes I think she is teething which makes me feel mean for considering cutting down during the night but I'm absolutely exhausted. I just wish she would co-sleep as at least then I could doze whilst she nursed!

MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 20-Feb-14 13:33:39

Hi, ds2 is just 9m and wakes anything from once a night to every 2 hours. As I know he's perfectly capable of only having 1 feed a night that's all I give him. I will tend to feed somewhere between 12 and 2 ish. All other wakings he gets shhhh and patted. I have to say I think it would often be quicker just to feed but all he does is suckle and then sleep not actually feed and long term it's not a habit I want to encourage. I count anything after 5am as morning bye so he gets fed again after that. At 11m I night weaned ds1completely so will probably do the same with ds2.

Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now