Talk

Advanced search

Burping. When did you stop?

(11 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Wed 19-Feb-14 22:23:02

When did you stop doing this? As sometimes I just think it disturbs them than anything especially at night!

malteser17 Thu 20-Feb-14 11:25:44

My DS is 11mo old and I don't make a point of burping him after a milk feed. However, at night time because I tend to feed him to sleep he does sometimes wake up half an hour to an hour later just needing a burp and once he's had that he's settled again. But I would rather that than spend 10 minutes after a feed trying to get him to burp as that tends to wake him up more.

StormyBrid Thu 20-Feb-14 11:36:13

Can't actually remember when we stopped burping! Stopped doing it after night feeds at a few months though, because it woke DD up too much. She'd often bring a tiny bit of milk back up at some point during the night, which I viewed as a small price to pay for extra sleep.

quackojuliet Thu 20-Feb-14 19:50:45

God night burping drives me insane. Dd (8wks) writhes around and makes burpy noises but won't wake up enough to burp. So I just try and try and she never burps!Cue very interrupted sleep all round.
I was thinking to not make a point of burping tonight unless strictly necessary and see. It seems she only really needs to burp when she's a big frantic but at night lying down and half asleep I'd have thought wouldn't need to

Orchardbeck Thu 20-Feb-14 20:57:06

Mine is 7 months and I stopped about a month ago. Rarely did it at night though, she would fall asleep on the boob/ bottle and I wasn't waking her!

IUsedToUseMyHands Thu 20-Feb-14 21:22:18

I never have really. I only try and wind him if he's crying with trapped wind - and that's happened less than half a dozen times.

Martorana Thu 20-Feb-14 21:25:05

I never burped mine. I suspect many babies don't need it. Just lie them down and see what happens. They'll soon tell you if they need winding.

CrazyOldCatLady Thu 20-Feb-14 21:27:21

18 months or so for DD - otherwise she'd wake up screaming an hour after going to bed and we'd have to do it then.

5 or 6 months for DS, I think. He just wasn't that windy.

TheScience Thu 20-Feb-14 21:29:41

Never really bothered - if he needed to burp I just sat him up.

workingtitle Thu 20-Feb-14 23:20:53

Stopped at about 12 weeks when DS's colic tailed off. I do all night feeds lying down though, think that has helped prevent the need.

littleraysofsunshine Fri 21-Feb-14 17:04:33

Ds seems pretty gassy. Either burps or trumps lots...

Either that or the leaky nappies wake him up confused

When no interference he goes back off to sleep.

He's only just over three weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now