Talk

Advanced search

Breastfed 3wo not getting enough hind milk?

(8 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Wed 19-Feb-14 22:20:53

My three week old drinks well, I have a fast let down so he drinks fast. He is fed on demand, and takes a few goes at each feed.. Can be quite gassy from taking in air with the fast flow, but doesn't seen to stay on long. He does snack feed,, I also remember my girls did this. Just not sure if he's getting enough hind creamy milk if he feeds fsst...he's piling on the pounds though. Was born 8lb14, then jumped to 9lb within days, then 9lb 11 and a week on and I think he'll be over 10lb now

Just wondered as he doesn't stay on long and seems fussy after feeds sometimes

Superworm Wed 19-Feb-14 22:43:16

He could be fussy from wind? Is he coming off because he us finished or because of wind?

DS never fed for long either. By 3 months he spent 5 mins max feeding, he was just every efficient!

littleraysofsunshine Wed 19-Feb-14 22:44:39

He had a feed at 10pm, for about 7mins. Drank lots but didn't get to that dozey hind drinking which I can tell the difference from.

Also still has done wind but just not bringing it up! Had one burp but just fell back to sleep

littleraysofsunshine Wed 19-Feb-14 22:46:50

My girls were the same. Never took long.

He can be fussy sometimes after a feed (first time going in as the let down is fast) then he'll be fine, then he sometimes fusses but roots to go back on.

He does get gassy often but brings it up well usually. Just wasn't sure if short feed = not enough hind milk as such

HighlanderMam Wed 19-Feb-14 23:13:44

He is putting on weight?

He has frequent wet nappies?

I wouldn't worry.

However read this and see if anything sounds familiar -

foremilk-hindmilk imbalance -also called oversupply syndrome, too much milk, and/or forceful let-down.

littleraysofsunshine Thu 20-Feb-14 07:35:48

He's now three weeks old and gets fussy at the breast. He'll go on, feed. Then come off to burp because of the fast let down. Then want to go in again but sucks and doesn't settle. Just faffs about on and off a lot. ???

Then someone's gets hiccups. Or just cries

Madamecastafiore Thu 20-Feb-14 07:39:58

I wouldn't worry if he is gaining weight to be honest. His tummy is tiny and so he won't stay in forever and a lot of breastfed babies are gassy. In sitting here whilst dd is sleeping in her cot beside me, I'm awake as her parping woke me up!

Superworm Thu 20-Feb-14 10:40:33

Is this all the time or at certain times of the day?

There is a growth spurt around three weeks which can make them fussier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now