Talk

Advanced search

Thirteen month will not drink anything but bm.

(10 Posts)
Jenbird1977 Wed 19-Feb-14 16:11:11

Hi
My 13 month old loves bm. I cannot get her to drink water, dilute juice from a sippy cup or cup. It's got to the point her nappies are very dry as I am pregnant and my milk supply has dropped big time. She isn't a good eater but will eat fruit.. I'm at my wits end. Anybody else has this problem?
Thanks!

Littlefish Wed 19-Feb-14 16:13:07

Will she eat ice-pops or ice lollies? You could make your own with diluted fruit juice as an introduction.

Jenbird1977 Wed 19-Feb-14 16:43:01

The wee madam won't even take ice cream off a spoon so not sure she'd like lollyssad. I can get about 4spoons of yogurt into her and that's it.. She's equally bad at taking any porridge etc..

Littlefish Wed 19-Feb-14 18:50:38

If you think she is dehydrated then I would go and see your GP.

ThePequod Wed 19-Feb-14 20:43:38

I second Littlefish's advice to see your GP. I would also suggest:

- if funds permit, buy a few colourful sippy cups in different styles e.g. straw cup, sports bottle-type thing, traditional spouted cup, doidy cup etc. There might be one she really likes.
- Model drinking from them yourself!
- Keep offering with every meal and throughout the day.
- Have a cup near where she plays - it will be another plaything at first but then she may start drinking from it. The pressure will be off as she can choose when to drink and it's not in a 'meal' setting.
- In addition to the above, try offering 'watery' snacks like cucumber sticks, iceberg lettuce, orange segments, etc.
- Peer pressure! Could you host a playdate involving a snack/drink break at some point? She might be intrigued to see another child drinking from a cup.

If she's not into any sort of drink at the moment then I wouldn't bother offering dilute juice or other sweet ones. Stick with water, that's the most important, most widely available and best for teeth option! smile

Good luck OP.

Jenbird1977 Thu 20-Feb-14 08:14:12

Thanks everyone. I actually syringed water into her last night and this morning and I'm taking her to the gp this am. I think they'll send her to a and e cos her nappies are so dry sad

Littlefish Thu 20-Feb-14 15:40:17

How did you get on Jenbird? How is your dd today?

Jenbird1977 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:59:56

Well gp not too concerned because a little pee in nappies. Told me to get her adult salty crisps and that would make her drink. It did to some extent. She's drank a couple of onces and I'm pushing the breast feeding, but she hasn't eaten too much.
Oh and her thrush is back in her mouth that was cleared up prob cos she was on a/bs for ruptured ear drum last week! Might have something to do with the no eating and drinking sad
Thanks for thinking of us!

Littlefish Thu 20-Feb-14 20:14:42

The thrush could be making her mouth sore, so that might well be contributing to her not wanting to drink.

Hope things improve soon.

Jenbird1977 Sat 22-Feb-14 12:23:00

I know. Dif to see rashes etc in our cottage. Need to be at mums to catch sight of anything! She's eating today which is a start

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now