Talk

Advanced search

Any way to increase pump yield on one side?

(9 Posts)
Quodlibet Wed 19-Feb-14 08:49:25

Just that really - I have one boob that yields about twice as much as the other with the pump. It's hard not to get into a habit of just pumping from the good side, as it's very boring sitting watching it drip from the other side! Is there a way to even it out without buggering supply? I'm pumping every couple of days at present, and sometimes giving her a bottle and sometimes freezing it.

CityDweller Wed 19-Feb-14 18:25:14

You could try always pumping and bf'ing first from your low-yield side. I think that's what the Kellymom site advises for 'lopsidedness'

Rhododendron Wed 19-Feb-14 21:45:01

I had this problem too!
I'm afraid I didn't solve it.

Quodlibet Thu 20-Feb-14 18:23:09

Thanks - I will try some of the kellymom lopsided suggestions. It's just a ball ache pumping the unproductive side when you've generally got minimal spare time with a small baby.

CityDweller Fri 21-Feb-14 18:25:59

Double pump? I invested in one when I went back to work and was glad of it, in part for reasons you mention

Quodlibet Fri 21-Feb-14 21:09:49

Can you recommend a double pump City?

CityDweller Fri 21-Feb-14 21:42:20

I bought the Ardo Calypso. It's a closed-system pump (read here for why you should go for a closed-system pump if you can), and I remembered it was the one recommended by a lactation consultant I saw back in the early early days of bf. I've also seen the Ameda Lactaline mentioned on here and people seem to like that one. I went for the Calypso as it looked like it was less bulky (for carting back and forth from work). It took me a few days to get used to it, but now I love it - I still get greater yield from my higher-producing boob, but it's pretty much halved my pumping time)

I also bought a very un-sexy pumping bustier (a handy person could probably make their own) like like this one so I can pump hands-free at work.

WooAGhostCat Fri 21-Feb-14 22:25:43

When it comes to double pumps, I cannot recommend highly enough renting the medela symphony hospital grade pump.
It is quite pricey at £45 a month but it meant I could exclusively express feed for 6.5 months. It's quiet too so you can pump overnight, still in bed next to DH if you want to.

Quodlibet Sat 22-Feb-14 09:42:20

Thanks - will look into those.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: