Talk

Advanced search

Baby getting angry at breast

(11 Posts)
zinher Tue 18-Feb-14 22:54:25

Hi my 9 day old baby has suddenly become very fussy when I try to feed her. I tried changing sides, different positions, burping her but she does not settle well. It's a struggle to latch her, once she does latch she gets angry, has a few swallows and comes off again. We have managed good feeds eventually but it's such a struggle. She is still having dirty and wet nappies so I think she is getting enough food.
Also she has been straining a lot when she poos today. I was wondering if that was related.
It's really frustrating me now
Any help appreciated

puddleduck16 Tue 18-Feb-14 23:30:05

I have 11 do and went through very similar at the weekend. My midwife said at this point their tummies are starting to stretch which can be a bit uncomfortable and create extra air in the system. So just keep rubbing her back and she was fine on her own accord by the next day.

smearedinfood Tue 18-Feb-14 23:49:32

Blocked nose?

minipie Tue 18-Feb-14 23:53:02

If it persists for more than, say, a week, get checked for tongue tie (esp posterior tongue tie) - sounds quite like the bf "style" my dd developed before we got her TT cut.

MrsFlorrick Tue 18-Feb-14 23:53:55

My DD would be angered by slow let down when she was new born.

So I would hold a hot flannel on the boob to get the flow started and latch her on.

After a few weeks it all settled down and she would be ok to wait for let down without getting angry.

Could obv also be wind as others said.

BetterWithCheese Tue 18-Feb-14 23:55:13

Could it be a forceful letdown? So baby starts sucking, letdown starts they get overwhelmed come off breast and scream? Here is a link to Kellymom about reasons babies may fuss at the breast including fast letdown.

zinher Wed 19-Feb-14 01:45:09

Thanks everyone. Midwife is coming tmrw so I will ask her to check for the tongue tie. I do have fast let down from one breast but she is acting the same on both breasts.

QuietNinjaTardis Wed 19-Feb-14 21:12:14

Could it be a growth spurt? Dd would bob on and off and feed like a demon and I would think she can't be getting anything as she's on/off on/off but it was her having a growth spurt.

zinher Wed 19-Feb-14 22:02:16

Hi baby is much more settled today. The only thing I did differently was take off my bra. Now she is really enjoying her feeds but I am finding it very difficult as I am leaking so much milk!

Phalarope Wed 19-Feb-14 22:09:11

Hope the midwife was helpful. You might be right about the poo. DD does this when she needs a poo - on, off, on, off, getting crosser. I think the sucking gets the whole alimentary canal going...lovely. I now take her off when the bobbing starts and put her in the patented Poo Position - on my lap facing me with my knees raised, so she's upright but reclining, her feet on my tummy. Prrrrrrp.

zinher Wed 19-Feb-14 22:41:43

Thanks phalarope didn't know about the poo position! Will give it a try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now