Talk

Advanced search

Baby surfing for nipple but not hungry overnight?

(10 Posts)
Swannykazoo Tue 18-Feb-14 20:53:14

8 week old, EBF, velcro baby so co-sleeping with (as yet) unslept in bed nest. Last couple of weeks had noticed a definite stretch in overnight feeds to 3-4 hrs yay! However little puggle still spends large portions of the night sleeping on my chest. Not normally a problem, but last couple of nights he's been fossicking about for a nipple between 3 and 6, usually sometime after his feed. If I latch him on, he falls asleep almost immediately but then 5 mins later is looking for the nipple again. Its like sleeping with a freshly landed fish on my chest.

I don't know if i should hide the norks in case he can smell the milk, or horror of horrors wake him more to see if he'll take more of a feed. He's refused dummies so far...

I'm hoping somebody on MN will have experienced this......

(Ps: hoping BF thread was more appropriate than sleep but i stand to be corrected if not)

Paintyfingers Tue 18-Feb-14 22:21:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sunflower1985 Wed 19-Feb-14 08:36:05

My ds does this and I'm pretty sure he just likes sleeping with a nipple in his mouth. Comfort, food on tap. Makes sense.

Swannykazoo Wed 19-Feb-14 09:41:02

Cheers ladies!

ZenNudist Wed 19-Feb-14 19:14:27

3wo ds does this. I am a human dummy. smile

Buchanon08 Thu 20-Feb-14 04:44:27

Me too-human dummy! Thought about introducing an actual dummy but figured I'd just be putting it back in all night and ds (3mo) refused when we tried anyway. Agree with what Sunflower said, makes for a very contented baby and quite a lot of sleep all round. Am afraid to say dcs 1&2 slept like this til 18 months though!

Buchanon08 Thu 20-Feb-14 04:50:06

Meant to add, I'm sure he does smell milk so covering up and getting a few inches between us does help as he often stops rooting and goes back to sleep. Obviously only appropriate as bf established and baby not actually hungry...hth smile

Swannykazoo Thu 20-Feb-14 09:50:17

Cheers - the co-sleeping leads to lots of sleep but this flippering about every 5 mins is pretty unrestful! I'll definitely try buttoning up the nightie...

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 20-Feb-14 09:53:23

Maybe try sliding him into the bednest once he's gone back into a deep sleep. I'm well past that stage now but DS used to take more nightfeeds on co-sleeping nights which I think were because he could smell the "all you can drink" buffet when he went through a light sleeping phase.

Swannykazoo Thu 20-Feb-14 16:17:50

Hopefully my sliding skills are getting better! On previous attempts he's spotted the change in what seemed like a microsecond. Admittedly I am 1) Quite impatient 2) Years of oncall work mean I can fall asleep v quickly so perhaps hadn't quite gone deep enough when I tried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now