Talk

Advanced search

Fast let down but don't believe I have too much milk .....

(3 Posts)
comberbird Tue 18-Feb-14 12:55:14

My 6 week old has begun to have trouble with let down mostly in one side but both in the mornings when full ....cough, throws up goes rigid/distressed and eventually refuses to finish unless there is a long gap (nappy change) then wakes up hungry in an hour or two / wakes up with a sore tummy and is sick .....Baby has a monstrous hunger as is big boy at nearly 13lbs now.
He is fed one side during the night, at breakfast and then takes both (at12/3/7)til a 7 pm feed. He also gets a top up of formula at 7pm ... From 40-80 ml and his 10/11 pm feed is a bottle of formula from dad. I don't express in the evenings as too knackered .. So one boob is unused from 7pm to about 3/4am and another is unused from 730 to 6/7am.

I have read that expressing is bad, have tried the uphill technique and take him on an off frequently to reduce gulping/ choking which is an improvement but still all of the above problems happen just slightly lessened. To compound this he rarely sleeps deeply after his middle of the night feed as I think his tummy is sore so often awake from 3/4 to 7/8 when he calms down on the slower let down side.... I find it really hard mentally to cope after one of these nights as distressed and frustrated by this all.....

AM CALLING LOCAL BF CONSULTANT TODAY BUT WOULD WELCOME YOUR THOUGHTS... Do you think a quick express at 9pm would help? Should I try to briefly express the left rapid let down boob (hOw do you do this at night with a starving baby? ) during the day when it time to take this one (the repaid left down on the left side lasts all day btw) ... Also FYI I don't have spurts leaky boobs which is why I don't believe I have too much milk just too fast for baby to drink.

QuietNinjaTardis Tue 18-Feb-14 13:56:41

Dd still unlatches sometimes when my milk lets down, I just catch the spray in a muslin or on her face, the chair, the bed and then put her back on when its stopped spraying. She has got used to it and is better at coping now she's bigger.
Are you winding him after a feed? Have you tried taking him off as soon as you feel the letdown start so he doesn't get to the choking stage? I'm sure someone with better advice will be along soon.

TheScience Tue 18-Feb-14 14:01:41

I'd try expressing the first bit off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now