Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weight loss in 5 month old ebf baby - any ideas?

(7 Posts)
Cakeismymaster Mon 17-Feb-14 18:49:25

Hi all, hoping anyone else has some experience or suggestions...
My dd is 5 months old today (22 weeks) and is ebf. 4 weeks ago she weighed 7.6 kilos and was 90th centile, 2 weeks ago she had only put on 100g and was 7.7 kilos. Another 2 weeks later (today) she had gone back down to 7.6 abs is now 78th centile. I know this is a good size baby but the lack of any weight gain at all in the last 4 weeks has me worried - she has consistently put on weight until now.
She feeds on demand anywhere between every 2 and 4 hours and doesn't sleep thru the night, on average feeds every 3 hrs at night. She has started rolling a little bit.
Do I need to be doing anything differently?

ExBrightonBell Mon 17-Feb-14 19:00:42

How/where did you weigh her? If it is using the same set of baby scales then that is a bit of a plateau. If the scales were different, or you aren't using baby scales then it may well be inaccurate measuring.

Assuming that the measurements are correct, then it sounds like she is feeding pretty often which is great. You could try breast compressions when you feed maybe.

Or it could be that she is not really a 90th centile baby and is just adjusting down. Maybe weigh her again in 2 weeks and see, assuming that she is still weeing & pooing ok and seems otherwise well.

KippyVonKipperson Mon 17-Feb-14 19:05:00

I think around this time weight often does slow down, and it could be she's not really meant to be on the 90th centile, so just adjusting. If you are feeding on demand there shouldn't be anything to worry about, perhaps just keep an eye on it and get her weighed again in a couple of months. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Did the HV say anything when you got her weighed?

Cakeismymaster Mon 17-Feb-14 19:26:07

I haven't seen HV for months, have been weighing at home so same scales (digital, good ones) -ie I get on and weigh myself, then get back on with her and subtract the difference. So it could well be the .1 loss is just dibs to the method etc - it was more the lack of gain over a whole month than anything. According to my records she has only gained 200g since 4th Jan.

ExBrightonBell Mon 17-Feb-14 19:41:07

Hmm, hard to know if the weights are accurate. Could you go to a drop in weighing clinic and get her weighed on baby scales to see what they make her as?

Tbh as long as she seems well in herself I wouldn't worry too much and just keep doing what you're doing.

Cakeismymaster Mon 17-Feb-14 19:49:19

I think I will try the drop in baby clinic next week, should really get an official weigh in in the red book - can you tell she isn't my pfb! shock

naty1 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:22:01

When the clinics weigh they take nappy off.
Is it in proportion to height?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now