Talk

Advanced search

Blocked duct?

(2 Posts)
misskatamari Mon 17-Feb-14 16:13:48

Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice.

My dd is 5 weeks old and I've been feeding with a mix of breast feeding (using nipple shields) and bottle feeding expressed milk. We were in hospital early on as she had lost weight and was jaundiced hence the need to express and bottle feed when she was struggling to latch.

Anyway, for the past few days my left breast has been sore and there are hard sore lumps in it. I've tried massaging them away and having a hot bath and am encouraging dd to feed from that side and I have also pumped a few times to try and sort it but it's still there. I'm now worrying it's a blocked duct that might end up as mastitis (seems like everything is a worry since having ddsmile). I don't know whether to just keep doing what I'm doing or if I should see a doctor?

I've felt quite rundown and like I've got a cold this past week but am generally starting to feels bit better so don't want to bug the doctor if there's no need, but I also want to get this sorted and don't want things to get worse.

Any advice much appreciated

HighlanderMam Mon 17-Feb-14 16:36:46

Bug the doctor if you want to, they won't mind in the slightest! Better safe than sorry, they could probably give you a prescription for antibiotics that you could keep 'just in case' you start to feel worse and get flu ish type symptoms.

Here is a great site which has lots of BF info including on this link 'Plugged Ducts and Mastitis'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now