Talk

Advanced search

Periods after breastfeeding?

(11 Posts)
Gingeroo Mon 17-Feb-14 10:41:25

Just wanted to take a bit of a straw poll.

My DS is just about 9mo. I exclusively breast fed until 6mo when I began BLW. At about 7mo I started introducing bottles so cutting down on breastfeeds and I haven't breastfed for just under a month now.

How long did it take until people's periods came back?

I'd like to start TTC in the next couple of months if at all possible so quite keen to see old Aunt Flo back in the house.

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 17-Feb-14 11:18:37

DC1 14m.
DC2 16m
DC3 10 weeks. ::glares::

Some women have anovulatory cycles at first. You can improve your chances by night weaning, taking B vitamins to lengthen your luteal phase, and of course keeping a healthy lifestyle and diet.

Gingeroo Mon 17-Feb-14 11:31:02

Ouch, 10 weeks. That isn't fair!

Thanks! I have already night weaned. I hadn't realised it was all so technical. I definitely am having the mood wings just wish I had something to go with it!

I could definitely improve the diet. I'm still on the "eat sugar to keep yourself going" diet. Rather than balanced meals with things like fruit and vegetables! (unless chocolate and cake somehow count?) grin

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 17-Feb-14 11:38:37

Came back at about 5-6 months. I'm still bfing at 20months (although he stopped having night feeds of his own accord by 2 months)....

And chocolate and cake are balanced if you have them in different hands wink

Haahoooo Mon 17-Feb-14 11:44:33

It really varies for everyone I think. I bf DD until 14 months but got my periods back when DD was about 9-10 months, and bf through the first trimester of my current pg.

I seem to remember reading that it is lots of time on the breast (long feeds) that stop periods coming back. But that doesn't apply in your case obviously.

Hopefully they'll be back soon (if that's what you want!) smile

Haahoooo Mon 17-Feb-14 11:45:06

Sorry just read that that is what you want! Good luck!!

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 17-Feb-14 11:45:33

FWIW, your baby is at an easy stage, and it's a classic time to want another baby. Actually having two under two can be monstrously hard.

GingerRodgers Mon 17-Feb-14 11:48:26

5/6 weeks after dd was born but apparently it's because I'm so fat hmmangry

lanbro Mon 17-Feb-14 11:51:06

I ebf for 6 months, then blw and bf until 1. I was on Cerazette but came off it when dd1 was 9 months and conceived dd2 immediately, not one single period. Just because you don't have a period doesn't mean you can't ovulate.

For what it's worth I haven't found two under 2s too trying!

Gingeroo Mon 17-Feb-14 11:56:11

Oooh, Lanbro that is interesting. I'm on cerezette too. I'd love it if that could go that way for me too.

I am aware 2 under 2 could be a huge shock to the system but even in the difficult days I wanted to have my babies close together.

Gingeroo Mon 17-Feb-14 12:00:14

MinesAPintOf - I LOVE your idea of a balanced diet! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now