Talk

Advanced search

to give water or not?

(2 Posts)
sprite25 Mon 17-Feb-14 10:39:28

DD is 9 weeks old, when I switched from mixed to just formula feeding she got abit constipated which I was told to give her abit of cooled boiled water for. She now seems to be ok on that end but I worry that she gets thirsty, she's started dribbling alot and sometimes has a strange white crust on her lips after a long sleep (like the stuff adults get in the corners of their mouths when thirsty but it's alot thicker) do formula fed babies need extra water? I don't wanna give it to her if not necessary as she seems to dislike it and makes her really gag

ExBrightonBell Mon 17-Feb-14 10:49:50

Ff babies don't need extra water, unless in extreme heat e.g. 35 degrees plus. So, no, don't give your baby any water.

If you are worried about dehydration then check how wet her nappies are and how often. Plenty of wet nappies is a good sign.

Have you tried baby massage to help with the constipation? Often local family centres run courses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now