Talk

Advanced search

Baby with upset stomach

(5 Posts)
LlamaAndOwl Sun 16-Feb-14 15:56:43

My daughter is 24 weeks and EBF. She has some sort of stomach bug - she has thrown up every feed since this morning and has had about 8 dirty nappies, with the poo now green. She doesn't seem to be passing any urine and I am worried about her getting dehydrated. NHS Direct have told me to give her rehydration salts but she has never had a bottle before so completely refused when we tried. Also tried a syringe but that just made her cough and then vomit again, or dribbled out.

My instinct is to just keep trying to breastfeed her little and often to try and get some fluid to stay down but NHS Direct said she may not be able to tolerate breast milk and we had to keep trying to get the water and salts in her. Any ideas?

tiktok Sun 16-Feb-14 17:20:28

Strange advice from nhs direct. There is normally no need to stop bf when a baby is poorly like this and the usual advice is that it is important to maintain bf during these periods. It is bizarre to suggest the baby may not tolerate breast milk.

My suggestion would be to speak to a doctor and then when the dust has settled challenge this advice from nhs direct.

Your choice of feeding little and often from the breast is what is normally recommended in these situations.

LlamaAndOwl Sun 16-Feb-14 17:39:19

Thanks, I thought it sounded a bit strange. She seems a little better now so I am just going to carry on feeding her (and changing her clothes as necessary!).

Sunflower1985 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:37:27

You poor thing. We had this a few weeks ago. It was exhausting but passed in a few days. The dr recommended the salts as more of a plan B, and that bf little and often is the best thing really, then if he's still sick in a week come back. It was very worried at the time as my ds wasn't keeping anything down, but as soon as it came it got better and he was feeding well again.
One thing I'll say is it's very contagious, for up to 2 weeks. So stay away from people you still want to be friends with!

YourDaughterHasaTattoo Sun 16-Feb-14 22:12:43

Poor you, hope things improve quickly for you! Very odd advice from NHS. Although when my DS was 6/7 months and had D n V the GP told me to stop BF for a few days and give weaning foods. I was hmm; do you not understand supply and demand nature of bf!
On the salts note (if you want to try to continue to give them to her!) my 17 week old won't take calpol (after injections), she hates the syringe and has never had bottle/dummy so they won't work! I put a little on a normal medicine spoon then slowly dribble it a bit at a time into her mouth. It helps if she is distracted so I have my DH or DS try to interact with her to keep her happy smile! Takes a while, but eventually gets it in her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now