Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding and upset tummy questions.

(3 Posts)
littlemslazybones Sat 15-Feb-14 13:25:05

My 4wo is very unsettled and has ramped up his number of dirty nappies to more than 15 over the last 24 hours.

I think he has an upset tummy. My dh thinks that because his nappies are very wet that the dirty nappies are high because I'm feeding him SO MUCH. When I tackled him on that and told him he should be more thorough washing his hands he told me I should be washing my nipples after feeds.

That's not right, is it? I'm pretty sure I am, that was never something I did with my other bfed child but would hate to be wrong and making this worse. Dh is as knackered as I am, I don't think he's intentionally baiting me.

StillPukin Sat 15-Feb-14 14:20:04

I'm no expert and you are his Mother so you uan nderstand him better than anybody - but does he have an upset tummy or could he be having a growth spurt which is why he's feeding more hence having more wet/dirty nappies? My 3.5 wk old went through 20 (20!) nappies one day last week (thank goodness for Sainsburys own brand cheap nappies!).

As for washing yourself after every feed, I don't (but like I said, I'm no expert) my midwife said that you don't need to clean/sterilise yourself because the breast milk is sterile.

geekaMaxima Sat 15-Feb-14 15:08:37

Definitely don't wash your nipples after every feed - you'll just wash away the natural oils that keep them flexible and soft, and end up with dry, cracking nipples instead.

15 dirty nappies in 24 hours is a lot, though, and might be diarrhoea. I'm with you on the suggestion it's a tummy bug. Keep an eye on his wet nappies and feed him lots to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated, and if it's the same tomorrow ring your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now