Talk

Advanced search

In need of some newborn feeding encouragement

(16 Posts)
spritesoright Sat 15-Feb-14 07:40:49

DD is 2 days old, my milk hasn't come in so she is still on colostrum.
It really hurts to feed her and she is so fussy getting on which is stressful.
I know this gets easier as I bf DD1 until 13mo but I just need some encouragement.

My mW said the latch looks good but also that it shouldn't hurt, which it does.

Feeling guilty that I gave her a bit of formula last night when she was screaming her head off.
It's so stressful when they're hungry and can't/won't latch.

LCHammer Sat 15-Feb-14 07:43:35

Congratulations on your new baby. Don't feel guilty about the formula as it fed and soothed your baby. I hope you're both getting some sleep.

Reallynotsuretbh Sat 15-Feb-14 07:46:16

It is stressful sad but you are doing well so keep going.
Cabbages leaves from the fridge and loads of lansinoh nipple cream (which you don't need to clean off before feeding I don't think).
If you're still not sure about latch I would get them to check and check again I got them to check a few times for me they didn't mind at all. Also can reccomend the breastfeeding support helpline they are wonderful.
Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know but lots of luck thanks

spritesoright Sat 15-Feb-14 07:48:24

Thanks LCHamner. It was a quick fix and I know it might slow down my milk coming in. At the same time she seemed so satisfied unlike with colostrum.
I am surviving on very little sleep and DH can only help so far as I'm trying to establish feeding. Plus we have a 2 year old to take care of.
She just came off left boob and sound asleep so I think I will try to doze too.

waceystills Sat 15-Feb-14 07:51:20

You can do this! Your milk will come in shortly, which I found satisfying for me and baby.

Get some nipple cream if you haven't already, Lansinoh is the very best (purple tube).

The early days is all about establishing supply so any formula at this stage will effect supply. Get some box sets to watch, get comfy on the sofa with access to cake and fluids.

Having said that, do what ever works for you and baby and your sanity.

If you have any worries about latch go to bf groups and get checked for tongue tie.

spritesoright Sat 15-Feb-14 19:32:23

Thanks. She is latching much quicker now and cluster feeding all day so she's doing her share of getting my milk going. There does seem to be more of it and a bit creamier so that must be good.
Now just another long night to get through...

LittleRedDinosaur Sat 15-Feb-14 19:41:35

Remember those days well. Toe-curling pain!! Why why why do they tell us it isn't painful!? I'm sure more people would stick with it if they knew it was normal to go through total misery to start off with!
A few days and all will be well and soon you'll have a little face giving you a milky smile. smile

LCHammer Sat 15-Feb-14 21:01:44

Wishing you a peaceful night. It'll work out eventually smile

imissredwine Sun 16-Feb-14 06:16:47

Hi, mine is 11 weeks. I remember lots of pain and some bleeding until day 4 when the milk came in. My little one looked a bit goth with blood around her lips.
Take a deep breath and count down. It is coming

Congratulations.

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Sun 16-Feb-14 06:34:51

Ooh! You've reminded me OP - I didn't have this with dc3 as dc2 was bf until late in pregnancy with him so I guess my nipples stayed tough but with dc2 despite, like yourself, having bf my first for ages
there was a gap between dc 1 and 2. So...it felt like it did with my firstborn all over again - sensitive nipples, latch not immediate, worrying about flow, waiting for milk to come in.

I had totally forgotten that first week.

It was fine - as it will be for you. Profers hand to hold. Puts boobs away (am feeding no3) and gives bear hug instead.

Whatever works for you OP: cosleeping, fortnight under duvet has long since been my method of survival.
All the best to you and well done cake brew

spritesoright Mon 17-Feb-14 00:18:10

My milk came in today! Am so pleased. It happened almost instantly which was funny.
DD latching much more quickly and pain has definitely lessened.
The best part is she is much more satisfied afterwards and sleeping way more. This will be ourfirst night with milk so fingers crossed I get a tiny bit more sleep.
Funny but the fact that others found it painful is very reassuring.Was reading the change4life booklet and threw it across the room for its patronising tone and oversimplification of a trying initial process.So thank you for the real experiences.
I have been slathering on the lansinoh but it's much better.

spritesoright Mon 17-Feb-14 00:20:07

I'm obviously hormonal but your bear hugs and flowers have got me a bit teary smile

CharleyFarnsbarns Mon 17-Feb-14 00:25:11

The best advice I had from my friends was that bf really hurt. Once I knew that it might hurt and it wasn't a sign either of us were doing it "wrong" it was quite reassuring.

Agree that all the official leaflets don't mention this - as if putting something negative might put mums off instead of actually leaving them properly informed. Grr!

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Mon 17-Feb-14 01:07:01

Ah brilliant sprite Hope it is going well. Give your poor boobs a couple of weeks to 'desensitise' and fingers crossed, should be like your first.
Warm wishes x

charley totally agree. Keep reading about how it should never hurt but it does for the initial stage ime not to do with latch but nipple sensitivity, chapped nipples etc Lansinoh is indeed a lifesaver!

ThePequod Mon 17-Feb-14 11:45:33

Completely agree with what has been said upthread about bf hurting in the first few days. I had sensitivity, chapped nipples for the first week or so but then it rapidly got better. I also think DD's latch was fine as she was content, had plenty of dirty nappies, etc.

My mum's advice: "It hurts like stink when you first get her on. Then you'll stop noticing it." It ceased to "hurt like stink" pretty quickly!

Congratulations on your new baby OP!

CharleyFarnsbarns Mon 17-Feb-14 22:12:20

Bf can be tough and can be wonderful, too. The force of my DS's sucking ability I'm surprised my boobs are still here! If you put your finger in their mouths you realise how strong they are and how hard their palates are. Ouch!

Hope you are ok, op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now