Talk

Advanced search

Cutting down bottles for 10month old

(8 Posts)
Mummystuff Sat 15-Feb-14 07:07:22

Hi everybody

First time poster looking for a bit of advice please. Took my 10 month old ds to baby clinic yesterday, he is a big baby enjoys his food and milk! HV weighed him and he has jumped 2 centiles in 3 months, admittedly he was having a lot of milk which i was trying to cut down but HV said i must stop all bottles just give morning and bedtime.

Yesterday i replaced daytime milk with yogurts as suggested and to be fair he didn't miss the bottles, but last night not so good. We gave bedtime milk as usual at 7pm he woke at midnight and i did give bottle as i felt a bit of a nasty mummy. He then woke again at 3 looking for a feed i tried water but did not work and he cried until 4, slept till 5, then cried till 6am when i gave in.

I feel terrible and tired, i couldn't leave him to cry it out as HV had said and kept going to cuddle him. Im not sure what to do seems extreme to cut him down to 2 bottles straightaway as i said he has always been a big boy but to me looks in proportion.

Does anybody have advice should i ignore HV and cut down gradually or follow advice and hope he will adapt. Sorry for lost post as i said first timer and tried to give all info.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sat 15-Feb-14 07:09:32

Honestly? Ignore yor hv.

Milk is their primary source of nutrition in the first year. "Food is for fun until they are one"

At 10mo dd was having milk mornibg and evening plus a half bottle at least before each (3) naps.

Mumof3xx Sat 15-Feb-14 07:12:46

My dd is 10 months

She always has at least 3 8oz bottles (breakfast afternoon and evening)

About 50% of the time she has one in the middle of the night too

I would perhaps drop one at a time?

StillaChocoholic Sat 15-Feb-14 07:19:03

My son is 10 months. For the past two days he's cut down to two bottles but was three a day until then. He's cut himself down so now he has a bottle mid-morning and before bed and seems happy enough but I was told to cut down to two bottles months ago. When I tried that he woke up in the night hungry. Just do whatever is best for your son, not necessarily what the hv says.

Mummystuff Sat 15-Feb-14 07:21:00

Thanks very speedy replies and good advice. I will stick with my original plan and reduce bottles one at a time, thanks again.

Mishmashfamily Sat 15-Feb-14 07:22:13

My dd is 9months. She still has around 4/5 bottles with her three meals. She in on 91st with both weight and height.

Ignore her.

Mumof3xx Sat 15-Feb-14 07:25:03

I haven't been asked about my dds milk intake since she was tiny thinking about it!
Maybe this is because she is dc3 though
A lot of the stuff there ment to talk to you about my mw and hv just ticked and wrote "experienced mum" on

dinkystinky Sat 15-Feb-14 21:23:56

Ds3 is 7 months - he has milk morning evening and through the night but that's only because the child will not take a bottle while I'm at work ( despite knowing how to take one). The days I work he has an ounce or two of formula from a cup, lots of yoghurt and porridge and plenty of water during the day. I worry massively about if Hes getting what he needs in a day from his diet - so if your ds is happy and it ain't broke dont fix it I say...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now