Talk

Advanced search

11mo has forgotten how to latch without teeth - help!

(4 Posts)
RubyrooUK Fri 14-Feb-14 20:24:48

My DS2 is 11mo. He is at nursery during the day and breastfeeds on demand in the morning, night and weekends. (The swine still manages a good 8+ feeds when I'm not at work. At the weekend, he could be there 24/7 if he got the opportunity. He LOVES the boob.)

He has two teeth at the bottom which are duly through and four partially through at the top with another few also on the way.

Since the teeth at the top started coming through, his latch on my right nipple has been terrible. It's fine on the left, even if sometimes I can feel his teeth a little. On the right, it's absolute screaming agony.

He is definitely not trying to bite me. He does that very rarely and giggles I loudly afterwards. He is just trying to feed.

And in the night, when he is sleepy, his latch on the right is fine and it feels ok. So it is not pain in the nipple itself as it's absolutely fine then. But when he is not sleepy, it burns to the point where I delatch him multiple times and try to get a better latch, then it is so agonising, I have to move him to the other breast.

Any advice? Anyone been through similar?

RubyrooUK Sat 15-Feb-14 07:14:31

Any help? <winces>

itsonlysubterfuge Sat 15-Feb-14 20:47:19

This was a great website I found. Skip down to the "not biting, but indentations" part. When my DD got her new teeth after each one we had to re-adjust her latch.

I found that laying down was really helpful. The closer the babies chin is to there chest, the worse the pain can be; so if you breastfeed in a position that has there neck extending it can help ease some of the discomfort. Another thing that I found helpful was to say "big mouth" and then open my mouth wide, as she was having a shallow latch.

In the end the best thing that helped was time, there were a few tear filled sessions where I just had to grin and bear it.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, I know how painful it can be when teeth come in. It does pass though. Have a read of the website, I did find it helpful.

RubyrooUK Sat 15-Feb-14 21:07:08

Thank you so much! Am off to read that site.

Right now, he has just woken up for a feed and because he is sleepy, his latch is fine. But during the day, it's still a disaster and I'm virtually running away every time he swivels in for a feed.

Thanks again. Will get reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now