Talk

Advanced search

Breasted baby not burping

(9 Posts)
Jessiclees Fri 14-Feb-14 19:30:47

Hi everyone,

First time mum and first time poster!

Just gave birth 5 days ago and so far I'm loving being a mum! However, I am a little worried that my DD doesn't burp after feeding, in fact she barely burps at all! I am breast feeding only and from what I've read, babies who only breast feed take in less air than bottle fed babies, so don't need to burp as much. However, I am really worried about this. Does anyone have any thoughts an advice on this?

Thanks in advance all.

KippyVonKipperson Fri 14-Feb-14 19:35:03

Congratulations on your newborn!

It's true, I think breastfed babies do get less wind and all babies are different so I wouldn't worry about the lack of burps. Does she seem in pain after feeding from wind? Eg drawing her legs up or wriggling in discomfort? If not doesn't sound like you've got anything to worry about. How long do you rub her back for after feeding?

Also, if she's just 5 days she probably isn't drinking that much anyway, she might get more burpy as the weeks progress.

evertonmint Fri 14-Feb-14 19:40:58

If she's not in discomfort then not burping is fine. I had a very burpy/sicky first baby who used to suffer a lot with wind. My second barely did a burp at all and never needed lots of winding other - just sitting up a bit or over my shoulder after a feed for a minute or so did the trick.

Jessiclees Fri 14-Feb-14 19:49:15

Hi KippyVonKipperson,

Thanks very much! No, she doesn't wriggle or pull her legs up, she just falls asleep - I therefore don't get a chance to even try to burp her! She farts a lot though!

Will keep an eye (or ear) for burping as she gets older!

Thanks again- new mum worries are endless....

ShadowFall Fri 14-Feb-14 19:53:11

DS2 is breastfed -5 months old now - and he has never burped much.

He is a very farty baby though. I think his wind all goes out the other end.

Jessiclees Sat 15-Feb-14 04:34:35

Thanks evertonmint and Shadowfall

Baby is also very farty so things must be working!

atthestrokeoftwelve Sat 15-Feb-14 07:13:04

If your baby seems comfortable then no need to wind.
I breastfed my babies and they never needed winding. I did try a few times as i was told it was necessary but never got a single burp. they were always just happy to fall asleep after a feed.

evertonmint Sat 15-Feb-14 07:18:59

Ah you have a good one wink My DD would feed and fall asleep - so much nicer than her brother who fed less frequently at night but suffered with wind and wouldn't settle for ages after a feed. Hope it continues like that for you both smile

ipswichwitch Sat 15-Feb-14 07:24:40

DS1 was very windy, took forever to burp and we had to use infacol to help trapped wind.
DS2 (9 week old) hardly needed burping at all the first couple of weeks, but was pretty farty. Now my milk supply has settled in and I've got quite a fast let down he takes in more wind and needs burping more. He does just fall asleep quite happily after some feeds still (always a bonus at 3am!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now