Talk

Advanced search

Duloxetine (cymbalta) and breastfeeding...

(6 Posts)
MissRatty Fri 14-Feb-14 17:44:35

I'm on 30mg/day of said drug and have been for a number of years. I was monitored during pregnancy etc., and had no issues there. I'm breastfeeding little one and give either expressed or formula top ups, as his weight gain is slow and he is only on the second centile...now my question is whether other bf mums have been on the same or similar drugs (SSRIs or SNRIs) and have experienced similar?

I only ask as I was looking on the web for side effects during bf when on it and it says that the baby's weight should be monitored closely as they can have reduced appetites and poor weight gain.

So has anyone any experience of this or faced similar?

GimmeDaBoobehz Sat 15-Feb-14 19:22:24

Maybe phone up the Breastfeeding Network (I think it's called, my brain is fried) they tend to know quite a bit about medicines and how appropriate they are when breastfeeding.

You'd think your doctor/consultant would've mentioned something like this, wouldn't you?

I hope you get answers and it's scary when you feel your medication is upsetting your baby in any way.

Trooperslane Sat 15-Feb-14 19:32:16

This has given me a lightbulb moment - I'm on citalopram and my dd was tiny at birth and has now dropped centiles

I had another thread running a week or two about it.

I'm definitely not worried because she's totally fine in herself and very mobile, chatty and smiley and she sleeps well overnight but you've got me thinking.

I'm having her weighed and length and head circ measured in 2 weeks. I'll report back then but that gives me something else to mention

She's mix fed and I'm winding down on bf - 6 months today. grin

meringuesnowflakes33 Sat 15-Feb-14 19:35:52

Bf and drug factsheets:

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html

MissRatty Sun 16-Feb-14 18:06:37

You would think it would have been mentioned. I actually know quite a bit about the medication and side effects, however its side effects in pregnant and BF women haven't been effectively studied as it is relatively "new" and a lot of people switch when they are pregnant or BF. Sadly that wasn't an option for me. There is a large study taking place in the US but the results haven't yet been collated or published.

I was just looking for anyone with first hand experience of it or similar.

Interesting Trooperslane about your DD...and well done on getting to 6mo! We have regular weight checks etc., but it was only a few days ago the thought triggered in my head as to what if the slow gain and meds are connected...hmmm!

MissRatty Sun 16-Feb-14 18:10:02

Thanks for the link...and yes, its scary when you wonder about stuff you are taking and the potential effects, especially seeing as these drugs are never trialled on pregnant or breastfeeding women, or children in fact. Drug companies rely on anecdotal evidence submitted by those taking it, but who ever thinks of it or makes that connection in the first instance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now