Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stopping breastfeeding tonight

(16 Posts)
Purlesque Thu 13-Feb-14 19:32:10

My ds2 is 29 months old and his last feed was last night, my Dp will be taking him to bed tonight.
I'm dreading it, feeling sad but a little excited that I'll get a tiny fraction of my life (and body) back.
I'm quite proud for getting this far though!

kimberlina Thu 13-Feb-14 19:34:38

Wow you've done so well

Purlesque Thu 13-Feb-14 19:40:20

Thanks, I have mixed emotions at the moment.

PurplePidjin Thu 13-Feb-14 19:45:09

<holds hand>

DS decided this week he didn't want his bedtime feed, he's 15 months. I managed to keep my mood under control all through pregnancy, the early days, the sleep deprived months when he fed every 2 hours round the clock... This one I've really struggled with, feeling crap, tired and low - if it wasn't for knowing that it would likely mess me up I'd have seen my gp for anti-d's!

At least I can now eat chocolate (caffeine sensitive baby) grin

Purlesque Thu 13-Feb-14 19:50:14

I have stopped because of anti d's, he is showing side effects (I think), I need my meds more than he needs my milk.
I was going to stop soon anyway.
I found dropping night feeds at 2 made me worse, I hope I don't suffer more after stopping.

Purlesque Thu 13-Feb-14 19:51:14

Yes my ds is sensitive to caffeine, as am I.

PurplePidjin Thu 13-Feb-14 20:20:52

Ooh, nice to meet another one! I assumed it was common, but I'm assured caffeine sensitivity is rare. How have you managed so long with no chocolate?! A year was bad enough hmm

I night weaned at 10 months ish, but don't remember it affecting me too much. You definitely need the meds more than he needs the milk though. FWIW, ds's last proper feed was Tuesday last week, from Wednesday on he would suck for a bit then giggle at me - that's when I started feeling rough - Sunday night we missed anyway due to travelling back from the ILs and Monday he just wasn't interested. I've started feeling better today. If you're still feeling rough after a week, I'd see the dr about your meds and until then snuggle down and look after yourself. Is there anything on Kellymom, that was a lifesaver for me in the early days but it's only just occurred to me that they might cover this end of the spectrum too blush

PurplePidjin Thu 13-Feb-14 20:23:45

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-your-ex-is-a-cunt-2.png

PurplePidjin Thu 13-Feb-14 20:24:36

http://kellymom.com/ages/weaning/wean-how/weaning_mom/

Oops sorry don't click the first link unless you need a laugh and aren't offended by strong language! blush

AndMiffyWentToSleep Thu 13-Feb-14 20:54:57

I weaned a couple of weeks ago - I had the same mixed feelings you describe.
I found I was quite emotional for a while after - especially at bedtime (DS was only having a short bedtime feed by then, he was nearly 2).
And I was sore - I was relieved (literally!) to happen to have a cabbage in!

leedy Fri 14-Feb-14 11:30:28

Well done for 29 months, that's a great run! DS1 weaned at about 30 months and I remember having the same mixed emotions. Look after yourself!

Purlesque Fri 14-Feb-14 17:01:44

I don't feel emotional about it today, but then anti d's could be helping with that.
Everything says that sertraline is fine whilst feeding but we have definitely noticed something was up a couple of hours after his feed and progressively getting worse as it built up in my system.
My boobs aren't sore at the moment and I'm hoping I don't get an emotional crash.
Overall I'm quite happy and glad that the tablets are really helping me.
Thanks for replying, I just wanted to say it to someone who understands.

Elderberri Fri 14-Feb-14 17:05:14

Well done.....it's will be hard, but resist.

This is the point that my kids suddenly went to it all being about daddy.

YankNCock Fri 14-Feb-14 17:15:16

Antidepressants can affect people differently. I switched to sertraline (from citalopram) during pregnancy with DS2, when I was still feeding DS1. Never noticed any side effects in either of my boys, but I'm also a diet cola junkie and caffeine doesn't seem to have an effect on them either.

I was quite sad giving up with DS1, but 3 months of tandem feeding was enough. I'd have liked him to stop on his own, but he was still going strong all through pregnancy and I finally cut him off at 3 years 2.5 months.

Stay strong, once you've stopped, stay stopped, otherwise it's confusing for them. It can be hard, DS1 fell over and hit his face quite badly a few days after he stopped, and he really wanted the comfort of a feed, felt horrid saying no!

Purlesque Fri 14-Feb-14 20:25:46

Oh that's horrible, I've had to do that.
He's taking it quite well, there haven't been too many tears...yet!

leedy Sat 15-Feb-14 17:14:53

Yeah, I was lucky that sertraline didn't affect DS1 at all. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now